Posted to user@ant.apache.org by evilfred <ev...@gmail.com> on 2007/07/24 22:55:52 UTC

Installing Ant is non-standard and stupid

This is a rant.

Why does Ant (at least the source distro) not install like *every other sane
source distro on earth*, with "configure / make / make install". This is
what users expect and enter by default. I'd rather not mess around having to
read proprietary installation info (or in my case, guessing which script to
run because there is no info on the website).

Re: Installing Ant is non-standard and stupid

Posted by "Scot P. Floess" <fl...@mindspring.com>.
Building Ant isn't too tough...  Try building Firefox or any of the
JDKs...that's a pain

Anderson, Rob (Global Trade) wrote:

> [...]

Scot P. Floess
27 Lake Royale
Louisburg, NC  27549

252-478-8087 (Home)
919-754-4592 (Work)

RE: Installing Ant is non-standard and stupid

Posted by "Anderson, Rob (Global Trade)" <Ro...@nike.com>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
evilfred wrote:
> This is a rant.
>
> Why does Ant (at least the source distro) not install like *every other
> sane
> source distro on earth*, with "configure / make / make install". This is
> what users expect and enter by default. I'd rather not mess around
> having to
> read proprietary installation info (or in my case, guessing which script to
> run because there is no info on the website).

As Matt said, it is because we are portable, and because build tools
have to bootstrap themselves up. Hence a script called bootstrap.  How
does autoconf build itself?

What could be improved is how RPMs and debs build from source, because
those packages are provided by third parties (jpackage and debian) and
we havent focused that much on adding from-source builds. Its actually
kind of complicated there because the dependencies are cyclic: a full
ant build needs lots of JARs that build with ant.

If you want to help us and the JPackage and debian teams produce better
linux source artifacts, your contributions (spec files,  deb equivalents
and testing) would be much appreciated.

Author: Ant in Action           http://antbook.org/

Re: Installing Ant is non-standard and stupid

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@yahoo.com>.
--- evilfred <ev...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is a rant.

I thought rant was a Ruby tool... but seriously:

> Why does Ant (at least the source distro) not
> install like *every other sane
> source distro on earth*, with "configure / make /
> make install". This is
> what users expect and enter by default. I'd rather
> not mess around having to
> read proprietary installation info (or in my case,
> guessing which script to
> run because there is no info on the website).

Wouldn't it be a little strange for Ant to install
using make, the very facility (among others) it was
created to replace?  :)  Ant is not really intended to
be installed from source, except by Java developers
who intend to hack on it, which demographic hopefully
doesn't mind either (a) poking around to figure out
what to do, or (b) asking on the developer list.  In
contrast, I feel that Ant's binary installation
couldn't be simpler.

-Matt