Posted to apachecon-discuss@apache.org by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com> on 2012/08/06 14:16:19 UTC

Access to proposals (was Re: To extend or not...)

On 31 July 2012 17:06, Nick Burch <ni...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Jul 2012, Ross Gardler wrote:
>>
>> When can we give chairs some visibility into their tracks? If its not
>> possible to give them log-in access can we export to a spreadsheet or
>> something on a periodic basis (ideally daily)
>

> They'll get full visibility once the review system is in place. Steve
> emailed earlier to say that it's due by the end of the week, but hopefully
> sooner.

Any update now that we are at the start of the following week?

We really need to get this moving. It's a block on many things not
just the reviewing of proposals but also the sponsorship proposal for
track sponsors - we don't know what tracks can realistically be put
together or how large they will be.

Ross

Re: Access to proposals (was Re: To extend or not...)

Posted by Steve Holden <st...@holdenweb.com>.
On Aug 7, 2012, at 1:18 PM, Donald Harbison wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 12:51 PM, Steve Holden <st...@holdenweb.com> wrote:
>
>> I don't think you need two separate accounts. That would, in fact, be
>> unhealthy, since one account would then be able to comment and vote on the
>> other's submissions.
>>
>> Do I take it I should add dpharbison@gmail.com?
>>

> Yes, please. I misunderstood your previous direction.

I'm sorry. You are now subscribed.

regards
 Steve

Re: Access to proposals (was Re: To extend or not...)

Posted by Donald Harbison <dp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steve Holden <st...@holdenweb.com>.

Posted by Donald Harbison <dp...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 10:51 AM, Steve Holden <st...@holdenweb.com> wrote:

> Happy to grant karma now I'm awake again. Please note that reviewer karma
> is only available to those who already have an account in the review
> system. Working through the spreadsheet the first four track chairs had no
> account - at least, not under their apache.org address. So I decided to
> ask here for them to all create accounts. Had they opened these accounts
> earlier you'd have at least been able to log in and see the proposals that
> had come in to date.

> On Aug 7, 2012, at 5:40 AM, Nick Burch wrote:
>
> > (I had thought that we were going to welcome reviews from everyone, with
> track chairs having the final say, but I guess that isn't going to be
> possible with the setup)
> >
> Why not?
>
> There's no reason why others shouldn't be added as reviewers too. The more
> the merrier, wouldn't you say? So unless there's a reason why the
> shouldn't, I'd encourage the track chairs (whom I will invite momentarily)
> to invite others to become reviewers. People are inhibited from reviewing
> their own submissions.

I believe there are several other volunteers in the Apache OpenOffice
project who wish to help out and review CFP submissions, and work on other
areas. I'll get back here with confirmed names.

Posted by Steve Holden <st...@holdenweb.com>.
I believe the usual convention is to vote 0 as you make these comments - you can go back later and change your vote. Some people, however, prefer to record a negative vote at that time and then correct it if feedback and changes from the author merit it.

regards
 Steve

Posted by Steve Holden <st...@holdenweb.com>.
Yes. The review system is designed to prohibit submitters from voting on or seeing the reviewers' comments about their talks - they just get the same access to their own talks as any other speaker.

This is why registering with two identities would open up the potential for "gaming" the system.

regards
 Steve

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ted,

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steve Holden <st...@holdenweb.com>.
Ted:

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steve Holden <st...@holdenweb.com>.
Ted:

Posted by Steve Holden <st...@holdenweb.com>.
The simplest way right now is to enter "NoSQL" as a search string (I see two submissions right now) , but I agree a "track filter" would be useful. I'll ask Eldarion if they have one lying around ...

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Steve.

Posted by Steve Holden <st...@holdenweb.com>.
Done.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
Steve:
Can you add me, please ?
yuzhihong@gmail.com

NoSQL database track.

Thanks

Posted by Steve Holden <st...@holdenweb.com>.
Added, thanks.

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.
Same for myself please

--
Lewis

Re: Access to proposals (was Re: To extend or not...)

Posted by Steve Holden <st...@holdenweb.com>.
Invited.

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl>.

Posted by Steve Holden <st...@holdenweb.com>.
Invited.

Posted by Ian Holsman <ia...@holsman.com.au>.
Hi Steve.

I've added ianh@apache.org.

regards
Ian
On Aug 9, 2012, at 2:01 AM, Steve Holden <st...@holdenweb.com> wrote:

> Tia:
>
> You'll need to create an account under that email address before we can add you to the reviewer team, please.
>
> regards
> Steve
>
> On Aug 8, 2012, at 2:05 AM, Ian Holsman wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> Can you add me as a reviewer as well.
>>
>> Ianh@apache.org for the big data track.
>>
>> Tia
>>

> --
> Steve Holden steve@holdenweb.com,  Holden Web, LLC http://holdenweb.com/
> Python classes (and much more) through the web http://oreillyschool.com/
> Conferences and technical event management at http://theopenbastion.com/
> Next:           DjangoCon US Sep 6-8, Washington DC http://djangocon.us/

--
Ian Holsman
Ian@Holsman.com.au
PH: +1-703 651-6265 AOLIM: ianholsman Skype:iholsman

The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal. -Aristotle

Re: Access to proposals (was Re: To extend or not...)

Posted by Steve Holden <st...@holdenweb.com>.
Tia:

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
Hi Jean-Frederic!

Would be cool if you could help out a bit with the ApachEE track as I'm currently fighting a flu and still am pretty tired.

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by Steve Holden <st...@holdenweb.com>.
Invited.

Posted by Steve Holden <st...@holdenweb.com>.
Done

Posted by Reto Bachmann-Gmür <re...@apache.org>.
me (reto@a.o) too please.

Cheers,
Reto

Posted by Steve Holden <st...@holdenweb.com>.
Looks like Nick added you already.

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
Hi there,

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Steve Holden <st...@holdenweb.com>.
Invited.

Posted by Steve Holden <st...@holdenweb.com>.
Invited.

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi Steve...

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 9:16 PM, Steve Holden <st...@holdenweb.com> wrote:

> Invitation issued.

> On Aug 8, 2012, at 12:04 PM, Mark Struberg wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > Should be struberg at yahoo.de
> >
> > txs and LieGrue,
> > strub
> >

> --
> Steve Holden steve@holdenweb.com,  Holden Web, LLC http://holdenweb.com/
> Python classes (and much more) through the web http://oreillyschool.com/
> Conferences and technical event management at http://theopenbastion.com/
> Next:           DjangoCon US Sep 6-8, Washington DC http://djangocon.us/

--
Thanks
- Mohammad Nour
----
- Albert Einstein

Re: Access to proposals (was Re: To extend or not...)

Posted by Steve Holden <st...@holdenweb.com>.
Invitation issued.

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
Hi!

Should be struberg at yahoo.de

txs and LieGrue,
strub

Posted by Steve Holden <st...@holdenweb.com>.

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.

Posted by Ian Holsman <ia...@holsman.com.au>.
Hi

Posted by yu...@gmail.com.

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl>.

Posted by Steve Holden <st...@holdenweb.com>.
Done.

Posted by Olivier Heintz <ol...@nereide.fr>.
Le 07/08/2012 16:51, Steve Holden a écrit :

> If you want to be a reviewer (tell your friends!) you just have to ask. Give me the email address you are registered with at apachecon.eu and I will invite you. Once invited you are free to invite other reviewers whose opinions will help shape the conference.
can you invite me as reviewers, olivier.heintz@nereide.fr
Olivier

Posted by Steve Holden <st...@holdenweb.com>.
On Aug 7, 2012, at 1:26 PM, Pierre Smits wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> Did you add my email address as a reviewer as well?

Only just now, apparently. Sorry!

Re: Access to proposals (was Re: To extend or not...)

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Steve,

ApacheCon EU 2012 <http://www.apachecon.eu> - Sinsheim, Germany
Apache OFBiz <http://ofbiz.apache.org>

Re: Access to proposals (was Re: To extend or not...)

Posted by Steve Holden <st...@holdenweb.com>.
Done. Welcome!

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 10:51 AM, Steve Holden <st...@holdenweb.com> wrote:
> Happy to grant karma now I'm awake again. Please note that reviewer karma is only available to those who already have an account in the review system. Working through the spreadsheet the first four track chairs had no account - at least, not under their apache.org address. So I decided to ask here for them to all create accounts. Had they opened these accounts earlier you'd have at least been able to log in and see the proposals that had come in to date.

Please grant my account (ke4qqq@apache.org) karma as well

--David

Re: Access to proposals (was Re: To extend or not...)

Posted by Steve Holden <st...@holdenweb.com>.

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 7 Aug 2012, Steve Holden wrote:
> The functionality is now available. Nick can invite further reviewers.

I'm a bit busy at the moment, and won't have a chance to look at anything
for at least 8 hours.

Steve - would you be able to grant reviewing karma to all the track chairs
as starters? They're listed in the spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgZqERZgbUeSdF9xcFdpNkp2UWNLUThxX3NYc1pZWnc#gid=0
Add @apache.org to their usernames (availids) as needed for email
addresses

(I had thought that we were going to welcome reviews from everyone, with
track chairs having the final say, but I guess that isn't going to be
possible with the setup)

Nick

Re: Access to proposals (was Re: To extend or not...)

Posted by Donald Harbison <dp...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 5:40 AM, Steve Holden <st...@holdenweb.com> wrote:

> On Aug 6, 2012, at 6:03 PM, Nick Burch wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 6 Aug 2012, Donald Harbison wrote:
> understand
> >> who/what has been submitted. With this knowledge, we can more
> effectively
> >> make direct appeals to worthy members and participants and improve the
> >> overall quality of the track....*before* the CFP system closes on
> August 13.
> >>
> >> In other words, we urgently need this capability.
> >
> > I have no idea why it isn't live yet :(
> >
> > Steve - do you know why Eldarion are so late with this, and when we can
> expect everyone to start reviewing proposals?
> >
> > In the mean time, I've logged into the site admin, and cut+pasted the
> current titles and tracks into the track proposal spreadsheet:
> >
> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgZqERZgbUeSdF9xcFdpNkp2UWNLUThxX3NYc1pZWnc#gid=2
> >
> > Hopefully that's enough for people to get going with, while Steve goes
> and shouts very very loudly at the people running the website....
> >
> > Nick
>

> The functionality is now available. Nick can invite further reviewers.

Nick, will you please add me as a reviewer in my role as track chair for
Apache OpenOffice? Thanks!

Posted by Steve Holden <st...@holdenweb.com>.

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
likewise for ApachEE :)

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Donald Harbison <dp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Nice metaphore.

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.
+1 Ross

If I am permitted to provide input into a reserve chair position then
I would much rather begin work (or atleast provide assistance to the
track chair if and when possible) sooner rather than later. I'll keep
an both eyes on this thread like a an eagle pulling a trout out of a
loch :0)

--
Lewis