Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Tony Lavalle <tl...@gmail.com> on 2005/03/11 18:01:28 UTC

null pointer

I am a student taking a jsp class.  the class project uses an access
database.  my problem is that every time i run the program it keeps
giving me and npe error.  i have check the html and the jsp.  but i can
see no error.  can you folks give me some ideas as where to start to fix
this.  i am running apache 2.0.52 with tomcat 5.5.7.  i have office 2003
install.  the other students are runnig tomcat 4 i believe there are
others that are using tomcat5 but not sure.

Re: null pointer

Posted by David Causse <dc...@cognitis.fr>.
Tony Lavalle wrote:

> I am a student taking a jsp class.  the class project uses an access
> database.  my problem is that every time i run the program it keeps
> giving me and npe error.  i have check the html and the jsp.  but i
> can see no error.  can you folks give me some ideas as where to start
> to fix this.  i am running apache 2.0.52 with tomcat 5.5.7.  i have
> office 2003 install.  the other students are runnig tomcat 4 i believe
> there are others that are using tomcat5 but not sure.

Check the stack trace and look for the jsp converted to java inside the
work/ tomcat directory to check wich line generated the error.
If you don't have a stackTrace surround all your jsp with a try/catch
<%try {%>
YOUR JSP ...
<%} catch(NullPointerException npe) {
    npe.printStackTrace();
}%>
and check the tomcat log (console or catalina.out inside the logs subdir).

Good luck.