Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2022/07/04 13:02:04 UTC

Re: Websockets: get Reference to @ServerEndpoint in a Servlet ?

On 30/06/2022 11:56, Jürgen Weber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> use case: HTML clients connect to @ServerEndpoint, some Servlet.GET
> should send a message to connected HTML clients.
>
> I found no other way to have the Servlet have a reference to the
> ServerEndpoint than a hack with a static field, as in the Tomcat
> sample.
>
> https://github.com/apache/tomcat/blob/3e5ce3108e2684bc25013d9a84a7966a6dcd6e14/webapps/examples/WEB-INF/classes/websocket/drawboard/DrawboardContextListener.java
>
> Is there indeed no better way?

Generally, no. You are going to need to do something along those lines.

Depending on the use case, it might be sufficient to have a single
Endpoint instance. That would allow the use of instance fields rather
than static fields. See section 3.1.78 of the WebSocket 2.1
specification for a description of how to configure the use of a single
endpoint instance.

Mark