Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jeff da Goofrider <go...@whoever.com> on 2002/09/18 23:43:18 UTC

wishlist: config improvement

I think the config code in Tomcat is actually part of Jakarta Commons but I'll post this here always since my primary concern is Tomcat....

It'll be nice to be able to use environmental variables in the server config files. If I already have CATALINA_HOME, JAVA_HOME, JIKES_HOME, etc., defined, it really doesn't make sense to hard-code the path in the config files.

The default config files need more commenting too. What's nice about Apache HTTPD's config file is that everything is very well commented.

Some kind of config file includes or per virtual host config files would also be a great addition. Such is the reason I began using Orion more and more, simply because its config files is more well-thoughout.

Re: wishlist: config improvement

Posted by Bill Barker <re...@verizon.net>.
"Jeff da Goofrider" <go...@whoever.com> wrote in message
> I think the config code in Tomcat is actually part of Jakarta Commons but
I'll post this here always since my primary concern is Tomcat....

> It'll be nice to be able to use environmental variables in the server
config files. If I already have CATALINA_HOME, JAVA_HOME, JIKES_HOME, etc.,
defined, it really doesn't make sense to hard-code the path in the config
files.

> The default config files need more commenting too. What's nice about
Apache HTTPD's config file is that everything is very well commented.

Patches are always welcome. :-)