Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@apache.org> on 2013/11/04 22:07:24 UTC

UIMA-SDK build tied to tapestry-only node in Jenkins

Hi UIMA devs,

the Tapestry project has a donated built host exclusively for Tapestry builds. It seems that despite
the exclusiveness you are building UIMA builds on that node. I'd like to ask you to please configure
your build so as not to use that node.

Thanks,

Uli

Re: UIMA-SDK build tied to tapestry-only node in Jenkins

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.
Hello Uli,

actually, the UIMA-SDK build is tied to "ubuntu" already. I was recently trying to find a good
rule for binding builds, starting with not tying it at all, then adding exclusions for those slaves
where the build did not run. During that quest, at some point, a build was run on the tapestry VM,
which was actually very helpful, because it showed us that a bug he thought to have fixed long ago
hadn't been properly fixed at all. We fixed the issue again and a second build was run on the
tapestry VM after that to verify it had gone. After this, the job was tied again to "ubuntu"
(I just checked, it says "ubuntu" in the job configuration).

I am not sure why the tapestry slave was chosen when I started excluding certain nodes. The Jenkins
documentation at ASF says "If your build is not system-dependent (most simple Java builds, etc.)
you can leave your build untied to maximize the number of executors available for the build."
So I would assume, that certain reserved slaves are neither used when a job is not bound, nor
when it excludes specific nodes which are known to have issues (e.g. solaris1).

Sorry for the inconvenience. In any case, we did not have the intention of appropriating exclusive
slaves.

Best regards,

-- Richard

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.
Hello Uli,

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@apache.org>.
Hi Marshall,

as long as it doesn't interfere too much with the tapestry builds our sponsor should be fine with
you sharing the node. Just please don't tie it to the node indefinitely. If a build gets assigned to
the node by Jenkins' round-robin mechanism that's fine too.

Uli

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.
Yeah, we should just let it be.

-- Richard