Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Michael Engelhart <me...@earthtrip.com> on 2001/10/29 17:48:39 UTC

Mac OS X v10.1 problems??

Anyone else having trouble running Tomcat 4.0 or Tomcat 4.0.1 on Mac OS
X v10.1??
I've been running Tomcat 3.x and 4.x on all the older versions of OS X
but since i've upgraded to 10.1, I get these 2 different errors:

In 4.0.1, upon running bin/startup.sh, I get parse exceptions in
logs/catalina.out and then Tomcat responds to requests but displays
error pages

In 4.0, tomcat starts up fine and static pages and servlet examples work
but when I do a JSP example I get Unknown source errors displayed.

I've tried everything I can think of including using tar, gnutar,
gunzip, unzip, & Stuffit Expander for opening the archives but none of
them help.

I'm just using the default tomcat without messing with any config files
which in the past always worked without and trouble.   Since it's both
4.0 and 4.0.1 issue (although the errors are different) I'm wondering if
something changed with the Mac OS X Java2 setup?

Any help would be appreciated...

Mike

Re: Mac OS X v10.1 problems??

Posted by Vic Cekvenich <vi...@proj.com>.
If JSP do not work, but servlets do, maybe you need tools.jar in classpath?

Re: Apache and Tomcat 4.0.1 on MacOSX 10.1

Posted by Steve Gass <sg...@gass.com>.
carlson@bookandhammer.com wrote:
> I get the following error
> [localhost:/usr/sbin] carlson%  apachectl configtest
> Syntax error on line 302 of /etc/httpd/httpd.conf:
> Invalid virtual host name

I had the same problem when I put the directives in the DSO Support
section of httpd.conf. When I put them at the very end of the file, it
worked.

Steve

Re: Apache and Tomcat 4.0.1 on MacOSX 10.1

Posted by ca...@bookandhammer.com.
I was able to recompile the source of the webapp module from the nightly
release of Nov 10th.

However, now when I use the parameters in the main section (not a
virtual host section)

WebAppConnection conn warp localhost:8080
WebAppDeploy examples conn /examples

I get the following error
[localhost:/usr/sbin] carlson%  apachectl configtest
Syntax error on line 302 of /etc/httpd/httpd.conf:
Invalid virtual host name

I setup  of virtual host with localhost as the name,
I set the main servername to localhost and 127.0.0.1, but I still get
the same problem.

Any suggestions?

--Peter

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.

Posted by "J. Eric Smith" <es...@digitalforge.com>.
Peter,

I'm having the exact same problem, only I'm on RedHat 7.2.  If you get
an answer to this one, let me know because I need it as well.

Thanks,

J. Eric Smith
Multimedia Producer

Digital Forge Multimedia
esmith@digitalforge.com <ma...@digitalforge.com>
http://www.digitalforge.com <http://www.digitalforge.com/>

Re: Mac OS X v10.1 problems??

Posted by Michael Engelhart <me...@earthtrip.com>.
Thanks Paul - Using the fact that you got it to work I went through and
removed some files from my  /Library/Java/Extensions folder that were
causing problems.   Apparently the default classloader loads from
several different spots in the new 10.1 implementation.

thanks!

Mike

Re: Mac OS X v10.1 problems??

Posted by Paul DuBois <pa...@snake.net>.

Re: Mac OS X v10.1 problems??

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
Michael Engelhart at mengelhart@earthtrip.com wrote:

> Anyone else having trouble running Tomcat 4.0 or Tomcat 4.0.1 on Mac OS
> X v10.1??

Nope, it works like a _charm_, and it's blazingly fast (I love Apple's VM)

> I've been running Tomcat 3.x and 4.x on all the older versions of OS X
> but since i've upgraded to 10.1, I get these 2 different errors:
>
> In 4.0.1, upon running bin/startup.sh, I get parse exceptions in
> logs/catalina.out and then Tomcat responds to requests but displays
> error pages
>
> In 4.0, tomcat starts up fine and static pages and servlet examples work
> but when I do a JSP example I get Unknown source errors displayed.

I never had a problem using any of those on all my OS/X 10.1 boxes (3 ATM,
Dual PPC/G4, PowerBook Titanium and Cube)

> I've tried everything I can think of including using tar, gnutar,
> gunzip, unzip, & Stuffit Expander for opening the archives but none of
> them help.
>
> I'm just using the default tomcat without messing with any config files
> which in the past always worked without and trouble.   Since it's both
> 4.0 and 4.0.1 issue (although the errors are different) I'm wondering if
> something changed with the Mac OS X Java2 setup?
>
> Any help would be appreciated...

Well, I _did_ one thing... When I installed 10.1, I just did so on a clean
system: I installed 10.0, then updated to 10.1, downloaded tomcat, installed
it, and so on...

I'm sure you don't have to reinstall the OS, must be something weird with
some configuration...

    Pier