Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> on 2004/10/08 19:02:29 UTC

hotswap

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 19:02:39 -0400, David Kavanagh <da...@dotech.com> wrote:
 > I just noticed a 1.5+ feature that is going into Ant 1.7. Many months
 > ago, I had a 1.4+ feature that I wanted to get put into Ant, but it was
 > rejected because it wouldn't be backward compatible to version 1.2.2.
 > Has something changed? If so, I'd like to offer the <hotswap> target. It
 > has a home at http://hotswap.dev.java.net/ and I'd be happy to
 > contribute that to the main ant project. I've been using it at work in
 > our builds for all that time and it is robust and ready to be used.

Assuming the code is self contained and isolated from bootstrap.bat/sh,
we can have optional version code in the system, sorry if that was an
issue before.

Having had a look at hotswap, I dont know whether to be impressed or
scared. Are you using this for hot deployment to a live system, wow. Not
in production, one would hope.

At the very least we can link to it on the web site, it is a very wild
idea. As to whether we'd want it in the core (putting aside the fact
that you'd need to add an apache-compatible license ), I am scared of
its powers. Only to be used in the hands of the competent, i think. But
its potentially no worse than any normal debugger. And it is certainly a
task closely related to the build/deploy process.

So I will ask other people to give their opinion.

-steve

Re: hotswap

Posted by Jesse Glick <je...@sun.com>.
David Kavanagh wrote:
> Just wondering if anyone else has any thoughts on the <hotswap> target,
> feel free to look at the web page (http://hotswap.dev.java.net/) and
> read Steve's comments below.

Looks cool... BTW you may be interested to know that NetBeans 4.0 uses a
similar task to do hotswapping during debugging:

http://www.netbeans.org/source/browse/~checkout~/debuggerjpda/ant/antsrc/org/netbeans/modules/debugger/jpda/ant/JPDAReload.java?content-type=text/plain

This task however makes use of some IDE-specific calls for various reasons.

-J.

--
Jesse Glick <ma...@sun.com> x22801

Re: hotswap

Posted by David Kavanagh <da...@dotech.com>.
Just wondering if anyone else has any thoughts on the <hotswap> target,
feel free to look at the web page (http://hotswap.dev.java.net/) and
read Steve's comments below.
Thanks!
David

Thus Spoke Steve Loughran:

> On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 19:02:39 -0400, David Kavanagh <da...@dotech.com>
> wrote:
> > I just noticed a 1.5+ feature that is going into Ant 1.7. Many months
> > ago, I had a 1.4+ feature that I wanted to get put into Ant, but it was
> > rejected because it wouldn't be backward compatible to version 1.2.2.
> > Has something changed? If so, I'd like to offer the <hotswap>
> target. It
> > has a home at http://hotswap.dev.java.net/ and I'd be happy to
> > contribute that to the main ant project. I've been using it at work in
> > our builds for all that time and it is robust and ready to be used.
>

> Assuming the code is self contained and isolated from
> bootstrap.bat/sh, we can have optional version code in the system,
> sorry if that was an issue before.
>
> Having had a look at hotswap, I dont know whether to be impressed or
> scared. Are you using this for hot deployment to a live system, wow.
> Not in production, one would hope.
>
> At the very least we can link to it on the web site, it is a very wild
> idea. As to whether we'd want it in the core (putting aside the fact
> that you'd need to add an apache-compatible license ), I am scared of
> its powers. Only to be used in the hands of the competent, i think.
> But its potentially no worse than any normal debugger. And it is
> certainly a task closely related to the build/deploy process.
>
> So I will ask other people to give their opinion.
>
> -steve

Re: hotswap

Posted by da...@dotech.com.
When you say "scared", I hope the code didn't look that bad! (I mean, I thought
you might be talking about the power it could unleash).
No, we don't use it for production at all. Yes, we use it for development only.
I like that I can edit in Vim and invoke an ant target to compile and hotswap
my changes into the app. When I don't actually need a debugger and don't want
to fire up Eclipse, I use this instead.
I'd be happy to attach whatever license is required.

David