Posted to adffaces-dev@incubator.apache.org by Catalin Kormos <ca...@gmail.com> on 2006/07/31 09:05:13 UTC

[Proposal] trinidad-skinning module

Hi there,

Following the idea that it would be great if the skinning features currently
available in Trinidad, would be available to the overall MyFaces world also,
i would like to discuss with you guys what would it take to make this
happen. I would like to propose, the creation of a new module in Trinidad,
called "trinidad-skinning" in which the packages/classes that are
implementing the skinning features could be separated; the goal would be to
end up having both Trinidad and MyFaces able to declare a dependency on this
new module and with some (minimal) integration code to use those features in
their own components sets.

There are tree main packages that would need to go into the new module
(taken from trinidad-impl module):

   1. org.apache.myfaces.trinidadinternal.share (or this could be maybe
   extracted in its own module, like trinidad-commons?, although not realy
   necesary as impl would depend on skinning)
   2. org.apache.myfaces.trinidadinternal.skin
   3. org.apache.myfaces.trinidadinternal.style

Besides these, there are other small utility and context classes from api
and impl used by classes from the above packages, which could be moved into
the new module (or maybe duplicated into the module, at least some of them
which can't be moved). One interface in particular, from the api, would
neeed to be moved to the new module,
org.apache.myfaces.trinidadinternal.style.Agent. This interface is just
declared in the api and used by the impl, but as impl will declare a
dependency on the skinning module, i think it's safe to be moved there or
have a base interface in the new module.

This would the general idea, I can come up with more, and willing to do the
work to make this happen. What i would like to start with is make some
refactorings on some of the classes that have direct dependencies on
trinidad, like FileSystemStyleCache, which has an inner field _STYLE_KEY_MAP
that holds the mappings between public style selectors names to internal
style selectors names. (this is actualy on your todo list already, from the
comments i found in the code). Of course, more questions/propositions are on
their way, as before opening an issue and providing a patch, i'll need to
make sure the solution is the right one. Another goal is also to make sure
trinidad works just as before changing something.

Regards,
Catalin

Re: Re: Re: [Proposal] trinidad-skinning module

Posted by Adam Winer <aw...@gmail.com>.
RequestContext is an important part of it, yeah, but
Skin and SkinFactory (which aren't yet fully public,
but probably need to be) too, probably other stuff.

-- Adam

Posted by Catalin Kormos <ca...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adam Winer <aw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Catalin Kormos <ca...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Question] Is there a list of missing "faces-major" renderer anywhere?

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
ok, I need this list too, because that task is on my "todo" list here ... ;-)

Posted by Si...@DMR.CA.
Will be great, thanks.

Simon Lessard
Fujitsu Consulting

"Matthias Wessendorf" <ma...@apache.org>
Sent by: mwessendorf@gmail.com
2006-08-03 14:30
Please respond to adffaces-dev

        To:     adffaces-dev@incubator.apache.org
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: [Question] Is there a list of missing

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
That task starts soon :)
> [...]

> > > Simon Lessard
> > > Fujitsu Consulting
> > >

> > --
> > Matthias Wessendorf
> >
> > further stuff:
> > mail: mwessendorf-at-gmail-dot-com
> >

> --
> Matthias Wessendorf
>
> further stuff:
> mail: mwessendorf-at-gmail-dot-com

--
Matthias Wessendorf

further stuff:
mail: mwessendorf-at-gmail-dot-com

Re: [Question] Is there a list of missing "faces-major" renderer anywhere?

Posted by Si...@DMR.CA.
Yeah, but checking the hierarchy won't tell which are missing, only which
are existing so comparing with renderers existing within .renderkit
package system will be still needed , hence why I asked if someone had
already done something like this or not.

        To:     adffaces-dev@incubator.apache.org
        cc:

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
All of them extend in a way from "UINodeRendererBase"

-Matthias

On 8/3/06, Simon_Lessard@dmr.ca <Si...@dmr.ca> wrote:
> Sure, np.
>
> Simon Lessard
> Fujitsu Consulting
>

> "Matthias Wessendorf" <ma...@apache.org>
> Sent by: mwessendorf@gmail.com
> 2006-08-03 13:51
> Please respond to adffaces-dev
>
>         To:     adffaces-dev@incubator.apache.org
>         cc:
>         Subject:        Re: [Question] Is there a list of missing
> "faces-major" renderer anywhere?
>

> Yes, I started one. but it's incomplete.
> Lemme make an update during the rest of this week.
>
> ok?
>
> On 8/3/06, Simon_Lessard@dmr.ca <Si...@dmr.ca> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > The topic prety much say it all. Do we have a list of all missing
> > renderers? And also, once we aren't missing any, are we planning to
> delete
> > ui and uinode packages? If so, I won't bother adding 5.0 standard to
> > those.
> >

> > Regards,
> >
> > Simon Lessard
> > Fujitsu Consulting
> >

> --
> Matthias Wessendorf
>
> further stuff:
> mail: mwessendorf-at-gmail-dot-com

--
Matthias Wessendorf

further stuff:
mail: mwessendorf-at-gmail-dot-com

Re: [Question] Is there a list of missing "faces-major" renderer anywhere?

Posted by Si...@DMR.CA.
Sure, np.

Simon Lessard
Fujitsu Consulting

"Matthias Wessendorf" <ma...@apache.org>
Sent by: mwessendorf@gmail.com
2006-08-03 13:51
Please respond to adffaces-dev

        To:     adffaces-dev@incubator.apache.org
        cc:

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: Re: Re: JSF 1.2 vs. RequestMap, SessionMap, ApplicationMap and AttributeMap

Posted by Adam Winer <aw...@gmail.com>.
maxPathKey sounds like just a bug.

UIXComponentBase shouldn't allow PropertyKeys in its ValueMap;
seemed like a good idea at the time, but I don't think anyone is using
it, and it causes API problems.

-- Adam

On 8/2/06, Simon_Lessard@dmr.ca <Si...@dmr.ca> wrote:
> Errrr,
>
> Actually it's the maxPathKey, that is an object, not the rowKey.
>
> Simon Lessard
> Fujitsu Consulting
>

> Simon_Lessard@DMR.CA
> 2006-08-02 12:55
> Please respond to adffaces-dev
>
>         To:     adffaces-dev@incubator.apache.org
>         cc:
>         Subject:        Re: Re: JSF 1.2 vs. RequestMap, SessionMap,
> ApplicationMap and AttributeMap
>

> Hello,
>
> For the attribute map, UIXComponentBase uses a ValueMap class that allows
> String and PropertyKey keys. I didn't find any place using that feature
> yet however.
>
> As for the scope maps, Trinidad does use Object keys when saving some
> DataModel rowkeys information. An example is ProcessUtils.clearMaxPath. An
>
> easy fix would be to change the DataModel to allow only String rowKeys
> since I think all the internal ones already use String only.
>

> Regards,
>
> Simon Lessard
> Fujitsu Consulting
>

> "Adam Winer" <aw...@gmail.com>
> 2006-08-02 12:05
> Please respond to adffaces-dev
>
>         To:     adffaces-dev@incubator.apache.org
>         cc:
>         Subject:        Re: Re: JSF 1.2 vs. RequestMap, SessionMap,
> ApplicationMap and AttributeMap
>

> If Trinidad *is* using any non-String keys, that'd actually
> be a pretty bad bug.  So, I'd definitely like to keep track
> of this.
>
> -- Adam
>

> On 8/2/06, Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> > Hi Simon,
> >
> > I think it is not a bad idea to keep track of issues like that. As you
> > already notice it's not a blocker but maybe a "major". The earlier we
> > know what needs to be done; the better.
> >
> > -Matthias
> >
> > On 8/2/06, Simon_Lessard@dmr.ca <Si...@dmr.ca> wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Sould I post a trivial priority issue on JIRA about what Trinidad put
> in
> > > the following map: RequestMap, SessionMap, ApplicationMap and
> > > AttributeMap? JSF 1.2 specifies <String, Object> for all of them while
> > > Trinidad uses <Object, Object>. Since we don't plan to switch to 1.2
> soon
> > > it's not a big deal yet, but I think we should keep it in mind so we
> know
> > > some changes will be required to conform to 1.2 spec.
> > >

> > > Simon Lessard
> > > Fujitsu Consulting
> > >

> > --
> > Matthias Wessendorf
> >
> > further stuff:
> > mail: mwessendorf-at-gmail-dot-com

Re: Re: JSF 1.2 vs. RequestMap, SessionMap, ApplicationMap and AttributeMap

Posted by Si...@DMR.CA.
Errrr,

Actually it's the maxPathKey, that is an object, not the rowKey.

> [...]

        To:     adffaces-dev@incubator.apache.org
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: Re: JSF 1.2 vs. RequestMap, SessionMap,
ApplicationMap and AttributeMap

Hello,

For the attribute map, UIXComponentBase uses a ValueMap class that allows
String and PropertyKey keys. I didn't find any place using that feature
yet however.

As for the scope maps, Trinidad does use Object keys when saving some
DataModel rowkeys information. An example is ProcessUtils.clearMaxPath. An

easy fix would be to change the DataModel to allow only String rowKeys
since I think all the internal ones already use String only.

Regards,

Simon Lessard
Fujitsu Consulting

"Adam Winer" <aw...@gmail.com>
2006-08-02 12:05
Please respond to adffaces-dev

        To:     adffaces-dev@incubator.apache.org
        cc:
ApplicationMap and AttributeMap

If Trinidad *is* using any non-String keys, that'd actually
be a pretty bad bug.  So, I'd definitely like to keep track
of this.

-- Adam

On 8/2/06, Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> I think it is not a bad idea to keep track of issues like that. As you
> already notice it's not a blocker but maybe a "major". The earlier we
> know what needs to be done; the better.
>
> -Matthias
>
> On 8/2/06, Simon_Lessard@dmr.ca <Si...@dmr.ca> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Sould I post a trivial priority issue on JIRA about what Trinidad put
in
> > the following map: RequestMap, SessionMap, ApplicationMap and
> > AttributeMap? JSF 1.2 specifies <String, Object> for all of them while
> > Trinidad uses <Object, Object>. Since we don't plan to switch to 1.2
soon
> > it's not a big deal yet, but I think we should keep it in mind so we
know
> > some changes will be required to conform to 1.2 spec.
> >

> > Simon Lessard
> > Fujitsu Consulting
> >

> --
> Matthias Wessendorf
>
> further stuff:
> mail: mwessendorf-at-gmail-dot-com

Re: Re: JSF 1.2 vs. RequestMap, SessionMap, ApplicationMap and AttributeMap

Posted by Si...@DMR.CA.
Hello,

For the attribute map, UIXComponentBase uses a ValueMap class that allows
String and PropertyKey keys. I didn't find any place using that feature
yet however.

As for the scope maps, Trinidad does use Object keys when saving some
DataModel rowkeys information. An example is ProcessUtils.clearMaxPath. An
easy fix would be to change the DataModel to allow only String rowKeys
since I think all the internal ones already use String only.

Regards,

Simon Lessard
Fujitsu Consulting

"Adam Winer" <aw...@gmail.com>
2006-08-02 12:05
Please respond to adffaces-dev

        To:     adffaces-dev@incubator.apache.org
        cc:

Posted by Adam Winer <aw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
Hi Simon,

Posted by Adam Winer <aw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Catalin Kormos <ca...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mike,

Posted by Catalin Kormos <ca...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Yeah, that's something i would like to see also. My initial plan is just
about extracting what's currently done in Trinidad into an independent
module and then be able to develop on it more, in smaller steps.

Regards,
Catalin

On 7/31/06, Simon_Lessard@dmr.ca <Si...@dmr.ca> wrote:

> [...]
> > their way, as before opening an issue and providing a patch, i'll need
> > make sure the solution is the right one. Another goal is also to make
> sure
> > trinidad works just as before changing something.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Catalin

Re: [Proposal] trinidad-skinning module

Posted by Si...@DMR.CA.
Hello,

I would also like to see something like this. However, if we do, I would
encourage doing some reengineering work to write a public interfaces API
using factories and/or service providers (I think the engine already use a
provider, but I'm not sure) so that skinning become a pluggable module.
That way, the user could completely change the default skin functionality
with any skinning engine of his own to alter the whole application.

        To:     adffaces-dev@incubator.apache.org
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: [Proposal] trinidad-skinning module

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.