Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by John Jenniskens <Jo...@Q-ray.nl> on 2015/03/02 12:27:24 UTC

Deploying Solr5.0.0 on Windows using Task Schedular

Hello,

I'm deploying Solr5.0.0. on Windows 2008 server.
 I have deployed  V4.9.0 by running Jetty as a Windows Service.
I read that Tomcat or Jetty are not supported anymore.
I'm planning to add a task to the task scheduler to start the Solr server at system boot time.
So I call the bin\solr.bat start <options> from the task scheduler.

Is this the preferred method om Windows?

Regards,

John Jenniskens
(fairly new to Solr)

Re: Deploying Solr5.0.0 on Windows using Task Schedular

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 3/2/2015 4:27 AM, John Jenniskens wrote:
> I'm deploying Solr5.0.0. on Windows 2008 server.
>  I have deployed  V4.9.0 by running Jetty as a Windows Service.
> I read that Tomcat or Jetty are not supported anymore.
> I'm planning to add a task to the task scheduler to start the Solr server at system boot time.
> So I call the bin\solr.bat start <options> from the task scheduler.
>
> Is this the preferred method om Windows?

See the boxed note on the "Solr is Now a Standalone Server" piece of the
documentation:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Major+Changes+from+Solr+4+to+Solr+5#MajorChangesfromSolr4toSolr5-SolrisNowaStandaloneServer

For right now, you can still find the solr.war file in the download,
under server/webapps.  This will eventually change, hopefully in a later
5.x release.  Nobody has publicly started work on the transition to a
true standalone application, so you have a little bit of time before you
have to change your deployment.

My general advice:  Go ahead and keep doing it the way you're doing it,
but be aware that you will be forced to change in the future.  If you
can modify your deployment so it uses the new bin\solr script, you will
probably be completely ready for whatever comes in the future.

Thanks,
Shawn