Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com> on 2007/03/16 16:45:16 UTC

[VOTE] Release Milestone 3 of Tuscany SCA Native and Tuscany SDO C++

Please vote to approve the release of milestone 3 of Tuscany SCA Native and
Tuscany SDO C++.

The SDO release includes performance improvements (30-40%) along with
improvements to robustness.
The SCA release includes support for C++, Python and Ruby languages and sca,
webservice and REST bindings.

The distribution artifacts are here:

   - linux and Mac OS X (source only) -
   http://people.apache.org/~robbinspg/M3-RC4/linux-macosx/
   - windows (source and binary) -
   http://people.apache.org/~robbinspg/M3-RC4/win32/

The RAT tool output for the release artifacts is here:
http://people.apache.org/~robbinspg/M3-RC4/

The SDO release is tagged here
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/tags/cpp-sdo-1.0.incubating-M3-RC1/
The SCA release is tagged here
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/tags/native-sca-1.0.incubating-M3-RC4/

Thank you.

--
Pete

Re: [VOTE] Release Milestone 3 of Tuscany SCA Native and Tuscany SDO C++

Posted by Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com>.
I am now going to ask the IPMC to vote to ratify this release.

Cheers,

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adriano Crestani <ad...@gmail.com>.
Yes, as Pete said, it was a problem in my environment. I had a copy of
sdo_runtime.dll of an older version of sdo in my windows\system32 directory.
Delete it solved the problem ; )

I successfully compiled the sdo source on VC and executed the misc sample of
source e bin release and everything seemed to be OK, except:

    - both, on the source and bin release I had to move the .xsd and .xml
files required by the sample to the same directory the sdo_misc.exe was.

    - the
misc sample output printed this:

        Expected an IndexOutOfRangeException and got
SDOIndexOutOfRangeException
        Expected an PathNotFoundException and got SDOPathNotFoundException

      I don't know if the exceptions should be the same, but the exceptions'
name are different.

As everything else was OK, here is my +1 to sdo release for windows ; )

Adriano Crestani

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.
[snip]

Posted by Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com>.
Here's my own +1

Posted by Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Borley <aj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adriano Crestani <ad...@gmail.com>.
OK, I've downloaded the release sdo source and compiled it. Then I compiled
the sdo misc sample and I got the same error. Debugging the sample I found
out that the exception is being thrown on this part of the
ObjectCreation.cpp file:

        /**
         * Set the company name to Acme
         */

        dor->setCString("name","Acme"); // here the bad_alloc exception is
being thrown

        /**
         * Set up the two departments  - using the
         * DataObject createDataObject API
         */

Have any idea what is happening?

Adriano Crestani

Posted by Adriano Crestani <ad...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Adriano Crestani <ad...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Caroline Maynard <ca...@gmail.com>.
The news is all good. Both problems were in the PHP SDO testcases, and were
showed up now that Tuscany's support for adding properties to a data object
through the sequence interface is fixed. Sorry for the noise.

--
Caroline

Re: [VOTE] Release Milestone 3 of Tuscany SCA Native and Tuscany SDO C++

Posted by Caroline Maynard <ca...@gmail.com>.
I've now gone back to 519688 and there were no files changed in the sdo part
of the tree, so the failures don't result from a post-M3 change. The last
level we shipped in a PHP release was 495327, and I know these tests worked
then. I have had some intermediate levels working since, but I can't be
completely sure what levels they were.

--
Caroline

Re: [VOTE] Release Milestone 3 of Tuscany SCA Native and Tuscany SDO C++

Posted by Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com>.
On 21/03/07, Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 3/21/07, Andrew Borley <aj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > runs as

> > SCA

> > along
> > > with
> > > languages

> > http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/tags/cpp-sdo-1.0.incubating-M3-RC1/
> > > > > > > >

> > http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/tags/native-sca-1.0.incubating-M3-RC4/

> > > encoded
> > might
> > > try

> > I think I have seen this on my Linux system when I tried using the IBM JDK
> > 5
> > a while ago - I reverted to JDK 1.4.2 and it works fine.
> > Have you tried an earlier JDK Simon?
> > We should raise a jira & add this to the readme I guess.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Andy
> >
> OK, so after complete reinstall on my FC5 machine with the same JDK the URL
> encoding problem does not appear so there must be some character encoding
> setting on my other machine that I'm not seeing. Anyhow not a problem with
> the  SCA release candidate but a warning note somewhere would be good.
>
> The basic samples that I tried worked like a dream. Nice one.  I can't try
> the WS samples here because of some other lonstanding issue on this box
> (this is why I was trying on my nice clean FC6 machine in the first case)
> but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt assuming someone else is able to
> run them on linux. So +1 from me for SCA now also.
>
> The only slight gotcha for the unwary I found was that when building SCA
> with ./build_scanative.sh for me it assumes you want the C++ extension and
> hence expects JAVA_HOME and ANT_HOME to be set which I didn't have. Anyhow
> once set it all went OK.
>
> Simon

Thanks for that Simon. We will collect these issues and can add them
to a release notes on the download page rather than in a readme in the
package (so we don't have to re-gen the whole thing and start over!)

Cheers,

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Borley <aj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com>.
On 20/03/07, Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 3/20/07, Geoffrey Winn <ge...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I've downloaded the SDO src distribution on XP and it builds and runs as
> > advertised.
> >
> > +1 from me.
> >
> > Geoff.
> >
> > On 20/03/07, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > +1
> > >
> > >    ...ant

> > Native

> > and

> > http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/tags/cpp-sdo-1.0.incubating-M3-RC1/
> > > >

> > http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/tags/native-sca-1.0.incubating-M3-RC4/

> Pete
>
> I installed the new RCs on my Fedora Core 6 box this evening
>
> +1 for SDO
>
> I still get this strange effect with SCA where scagen inserts URL encoded
> strings from the scagen XSL into generated CPP files. I have the IBM
> java2-i386-50 JDK installed. Has anyone else tried with that? I might try
> with a different version and see if that has the desired effect.
>
> Regards
>
> Simon

Sorry Simon I've never seen anything like this on any of my 3 systems
with various Java SDKs. Not sure I've tried with that IBM Kava though.

Cheers,

Posted by Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com>.
Adriano, did you check whay is on your PATH?

Posted by Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com>.
Yes. Which version of VC are you building with? The bin version of SDO
is built with VSExpress (VC 8).

You could try downloading the src release and building it on your machine.

Cheers,

Posted by Adriano Crestani <ad...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Adriano Crestani <ad...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

--
Luciano Resende
http://people.apache.org/~lresende

Re: [VOTE] Release Milestone 3 of Tuscany SCA Native and Tuscany SDO C++

Posted by Adriano Crestani <ad...@gmail.com>.
I downloaded the sdo bin for windows and compiled the sdo misc sample and I

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Geoffrey Winn <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
+1