Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org> on 2022/09/28 15:05:01 UTC

Security manager support

Hi all,

The security manager has been deprecated for removal in Java 17 [1], and
at some point Tomcat will have to stop supporting it.

Do we want to wait until it's no longer available in the JDK to remove
it from Tomcat, or should we remove it earlier, maybe in Tomcat 10.1 or 11?

I tend to think there are better solutions at the OS level to isolate a
Tomcat instance nowadays, and I lean toward dropping it before its
removal from the JDK.

What do you think?

Emmanuel Bourg

[1] https://openjdk.org/jeps/411

Re: Security manager support

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

If it helps, commons weaver (
https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-weaver/commons-weaver-parent/commons-weaver-modules-parent/commons-weaver-privilizer-parent/index.html)
can help for the backport part (enable or not the run in build.xml).

Romain

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Emmanuel,

Posted by Han Li <li...@apache.org>.

> 2022年9月29日 00:16,Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> 写道:
>
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2022 at 5:41 PM Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 28/09/2022 16:05, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> The security manager has been deprecated for removal in Java 17 [1], and
>>> at some point Tomcat will have to stop supporting it.
>>>
>>> Do we want to wait until it's no longer available in the JDK to remove
>>> it from Tomcat, or should we remove it earlier, maybe in Tomcat 10.1 or 11?
>>>
>>> I tend to think there are better solutions at the OS level to isolate a
>>> Tomcat instance nowadays, and I lean toward dropping it before its
>>> removal from the JDK.
>>>
>>> What do you think?
>>
>> I was thinking of proposing its removal for Tomcat 11. I think 10.1 is a
>> little early.
>
> +1 if we want to attempt it 11 would be a plan. 12 would be too far
> away (it's frustrating !). -1 for 10.1, it's released now.
+1
: )

Han

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.