Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Markus Kropf <m....@computer.org> on 2009/08/14 07:27:13 UTC

commited delete with uppercase/lowercase filename, what to do?

Hi,
I updated my workspace, then committed my changes. My commit included a
delete of the file "filename.ext".
Later, i saw that the update had put the file "fileName.ext" in may
workspace. Now the repository contains
my delete "filename.ext", but such a file does not exist, because it is
actually "fileName.ext".
Should sound familiar to you, probably something many Windows user
experienced...
What do I have to do now? Is that erroneous delete a problem? How can I get
rid of it? Do I have to fix the repository in some way?
Thanks for your help
Markus Kropf

Re: commited delete with uppercase/lowercase filename, what to do?

Posted by Hari Kodungallur <hk...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 7:43 AM, David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Your workspace is on a Windows system. What is your server? Windows servers
> are case insensitive.
>
> If your backend is Linux, it is extremely likely that your repository
> always contained both "filename.ext" and "fileName.ext", but you never saw
> the latter because the former always mapped over it. Not you deleted
> "filename.ext", you're finally seeing "fileName.ext".
>

> On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 3:27 AM, Markus Kropf <m....@computer.org>wrote:
>
>>  Hi,
>> I updated my workspace, then committed my changes. My commit included a
>> delete of the file "filename.ext".
>> Later, i saw that the update had put the file "fileName.ext" in may
>> workspace. Now the repository contains
>> my delete "filename.ext", but such a file does not exist, because it is
>> actually "fileName.ext".
>> Should sound familiar to you, probably something many Windows user
>> experienced...
>> What do I have to do now? Is that erroneous delete a problem? How can I
>> get rid of it? Do I have to fix the repository in some way?
>> Thanks for your help
>> Markus Kropf

Not quite able to understand how this happened. I believe if you had a
Linux/Unix server and windows client (workspace), it would have resulted in
an error when both files were in the repository -- error during checkout /
update, I mean. AFAIK, at least until 1.5.x, the svn client will not
automagically map over the file.

Since it allowed you to check-in a delete for filename.ext -- if linux/unix
backend, then the file must have existed and if windows backend, the file
fileName.ext must have gotten deleted.

So, I am not exactly sure how this scenario can arise.

Re: commited delete with uppercase/lowercase filename, what to do?

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Aug 14, 2009, at 09:43, David Weintraub wrote:

> Your workspace is on a Windows system. What is your server? Windows
> servers are case insensitive.

Filesystems on Windows (and Mac OS X, by default) are case-
insensitive, yes. But Subversion repositories are always case-
sensitive, regardless of what OS they're on.

Re: commited delete with uppercase/lowercase filename, what to do?

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.

--
David Weintraub
qazwart@gmail.com