Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> on 2004/12/30 00:44:07 UTC

TL Tiles (was Re: Taglibs and Tiles Extraction Issues)

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 13:51:38 -0500, Ted Husted wrote:
> Incubation doesn't have to be a lengthy process.
>
> * Float a proposal on general@incubator
> * Setup the usual resources (lists, issues, repository, website,
> status file) * Tick off the boxes on the incubator check list *
> Apply to exit
>
> If the Contributor License Agreements are already on file,
> conceivably, it could all be done the same week.
>
> All you really need is a Member to advocate the proposal.
>
> I could do it, but I already have two projects in incubation, so if
> there were another volunteer, that would be better.

Since there seems to be interest, why don't I setup the usual proposal on the incubator wiki, and we can see who signs up.

Even if we were able to dodge "incubation" per se, we would still need to bring a resolution to the board, and do all the same infrastructure things.

David, if you wanted to contribute the package you extracted to Struts, as Martin indicated, it would make it easier to frame the proposal. Then, we could just remove it from the Core, rather than extract it, and when the time comes, just move it from one Apache instance to another. As mentioned, we can restore your karma upon request. (Merit never expires.) All you would need to do is file a CLA [http://apache.org/licenses/icla.txt] and ask us to update your status.

-Ted.

Re: TL Tiles (was Re: Taglibs and Tiles Extraction Issues)

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 22:43:53 -0600, Vic <vi...@friendvu.com> wrote:

> For the slow people: Is Tiles moving as it's own Apache project... not a
> Struts sub-project?

Yah, I'm pretty sure that's what the "TopLevel" means in the name of
the "TilesTopLevel" wiki page. ;-)

> (I do not care, just... I assumed that since Struts was a Top level
> project, it had freedom to do as it pleases)

Up to a point, yes. But I think with Tiles, the idea is that it
shouldn't be tied to any one framework, so it makes more sense for it
to live an independent life, rather than be buried within Struts. That
will give it greater visibility, hopefully leading to more widespread
adoption, and the option of collecting together the Tiles adapters for
multiple frameworks, such as Struts, Velocity and MyFaces, for
starters.

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 20:24:45 -0500, Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> wrote:
> OK, there's a draft proposal up at [http://wiki.apache.org/struts/TilesTopLevel].

I noticed that the proposal mentions Jira. Without getting into a big
flap about which one is better, I just wanted to point out that it
would be much simpler to reallocate bugs in the Struts bug database to
Tiles if Tiles uses Bugzilla.

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by David Geary <sa...@earthlink.net>.
This is great news. Thanks, Ted.

david

Posted by Levieux Cedric <ce...@europatrust.com>.
Hi,

+1 too cause it save a lot of work for any jsp pages struts or not and it's
a really mature project.

By the way it really need to be extended.

Regards,

Cedric Levieux

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
It's a wiki, Cedric :)  -- Feel free to add your own name, as well as any other likely changes. :)

-Ted.

Posted by Cedric Dumoulin <ce...@lifl.fr>.
  Hello everybody,

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Geary <sa...@earthlink.net>.
Le Dec 29, 2004, à 4:44 PM, Ted Husted a écrit :

> Since there seems to be interest, why don't I setup the usual proposal
> on the incubator wiki, and we can see who signs up.
>
> Even if we were able to dodge "incubation" per se, we would still need
> to bring a resolution to the board, and do all the same infrastructure
> things.

Excellent. I'm really excited about this. Let's do it.

> David, if you wanted to contribute the package you extracted to
> Struts, as Martin indicated, it would make it easier to frame the
> proposal.

Sure, I'd be happy to do that.

> Then, we could just remove it from the Core, rather than extract it,
> and when the time comes, just move it from one Apache instance to
> another.

Okay.

>  As mentioned, we can restore your karma upon request. (Merit never
> expires.) All you would need to do is file a CLA
> [http://apache.org/licenses/icla.txt] and ask us to update your
> status.

I'll do that also.

david