Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by tao xiao <xi...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/10 15:52:05 UTC

Does consumer support combination of whitelist and blacklist topic filtering

Hi,

I have an user case where I need to consume a list topics with name that
matches pattern topic.* except for one that is topic.10. Is there a way
that I can combine the use of whitelist and blacklist so that I can achieve
something like accept all topics with regex topic.* but exclude topic.10?

Tao

Re: Does consumer support combination of whitelist and blacklist topic filtering

Posted by Mayuresh Gharat <gh...@gmail.com>.
You will have to use wildcard iterator I suppose.

Thanks,

Mayuresh

--
-Regards,
Mayuresh R. Gharat

Re: Does consumer support combination of whitelist and blacklist topic filtering

Posted by tao xiao <xi...@gmail.com>.
A little more context about my needs: I have a requirement that I need to
start/stop a topic at runtime based on a event sent to MM. at the moment I
need to bounce the MM and find a way to exclude the topic from whitelist
which is not an easy job with regex. If I can pass in a combination of
blacklist and whitelist I can easily achieve this by having something like
--whitelist topic.* --blacklist topic.1

Posted by Jiangjie Qin <jq...@linkedin.com.INVALID>.
Actually new MM will commit offsets even if those messages are filtered
out. That¹s why I¹m asking will you resume consuming from a topic after
you stop consuming from it earlier. If you are going to do this, you need
do extra work in your message handler. For example,
1. When received a message that triggers stopping consumption from a
topic, store the offset in message handler and start filter out the topic.
2. When received a message that triggers resuming consumption from a
topic, reset the offset for that topic to the stored offset, and stop
filtering.

This might need some tricks if you have multiple MM instances for
synchronization.

Thanks.

Jiangjie (Becket) Qin

Posted by tao xiao <xi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.

--
-- Guozhang

Re: Does consumer support combination of whitelist and blacklist topic filtering

Posted by tao xiao <xi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jiangjie Qin <jq...@linkedin.com.INVALID>.

Posted by tao xiao <xi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
Tao,

--
-- Guozhang

Re: Does consumer support combination of whitelist and blacklist topic filtering

Posted by tao xiao <xi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.

--
-- Guozhang

Re: Does consumer support combination of whitelist and blacklist topic filtering

Posted by tao xiao <xi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.

--
-- Guozhang

Re: Does consumer support combination of whitelist and blacklist topic filtering

Posted by tao xiao <xi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Guozhang,

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tao,

--
-- Guozhang

Re: Does consumer support combination of whitelist and blacklist topic filtering

Posted by tao xiao <xi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
Tao,

--
-- Guozhang

Re: Does consumer support combination of whitelist and blacklist topic filtering

Posted by tao xiao <xi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tao,

--
-- Guozhang

Re: Does consumer support combination of whitelist and blacklist topic filtering

Posted by tao xiao <xi...@gmail.com>.
I actually mean if we can achieve this in mirror maker.

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 10:52 PM, tao xiao <xi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have an user case where I need to consume a list topics with name that
> matches pattern topic.* except for one that is topic.10. Is there a way
> that I can combine the use of whitelist and blacklist so that I can achieve
> something like accept all topics with regex topic.* but exclude topic.10?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Tao

Tao