Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro> on 2016/02/07 10:51:07 UTC

Re: Upgrading from ACS 4.2 to 4.7 (w/ CEPH)

Hello Indra,

I think the procedure is documented here (though not to 4.7, but that shouldn't make a difference)
http://cloudstack-release-notes.readthedocs.org/en/latest/upgrade/upgrade-4.2.html
cloudstack-awsapi has been obsoleted at some point, so before upgrading you might want to `rpm -e --nodeps cloudstack-awsapi`

Not sure if the CEPH component will add extra complexity. Perhaps other users can advise.

If you do not have a staging environment, then you should build one. I have such a thing within a single server with VMs (nested KVM virt), so you don't need to mess with multiple physical machines.

In terms of time, it's an operation that - if done manually on a small setup - takes less then an hour (assuming fast Internet), but I usually reserve the whole day/night for the unexpected.

Reversing your setup is not supported, but I guess it could be done, it would've been easier if you ran NFS with simple qcow2 files, though.
If you take a mysqldump of the management server, a backup of your system VMs disks (not sure how you backup/restore CEPH manually); then nothing is to stop you to "yum downgrade" and restore your SQL and sysVMs backups or just recreating the sysVMs/VRs with the old working template.

Personally I'd wait for 4.7.1 to be released which fixes some bugs.

Nux!
www.nux.ro

Posted by Indra Pramana <in...@sg.or.id>.
Hi Lucian,

Good day to you, and thanks for your reply.

Yes, I built the ACS 4.2.0 from source last time and created the DEB
package for my Ubuntu. Nevertheless I checked the repository on
http://cloudstack.apt-get.eu/ubuntu/dists/precise/ and there seem to be the
package for 4.7 and 4.8, so will give it a try.

Would you recommend me to upgrade to 4.8.0 instead of 4.7.1? Any
differences in terms of bug fixings and new features between the two?

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
Hello,

Posted by Indra Pramana <in...@sg.or.id>.
Hi Lucian,