Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Jaka Jaksic <ja...@telemach.net> on 2007/02/01 07:21:59 UTC

RE: Apache Jackrabbit 1.2.2 release plan

Hi Jukka!

> I've updated the 1.2 branch with the issues currently targeted for 1.2.2.
> Let me know if there are some other issues you'd like to see fixed in this
> patch release.

I've just created the issue JCR-725 (about making cache sizes in
CacheManager configurable) and attached a proposed patch. Do you think it
could be included in 1.2.2?

The thing is that we have hundreds of workspaces with plenty of data and the
cache easily took up several hundred megabytes before limiting the size in
version 1.2. Now while limiting the size of caches is definitely a good
idea, I would not like a constant upper limit to unnecessarily decrease the
repository's performance.

The patch is really trivial and by default changes nothing, so I don't think
it could cause much trouble.

Regards,
Jaka

RE: Apache Jackrabbit 1.2.2 release plan

Posted by Jaka Jaksic <ja...@telemach.net>.
Hi!

> > I've just created the issue JCR-725 (about making cache sizes in
> > CacheManager configurable) and attached a proposed patch. Do you think
> > it could be included in 1.2.2?
>
> In principle I'd rather not introduce feature changes in patch releases.
> I'll probably be targetting to release Jackrabbit 1.3 in March, and I'd
> prefer to include this change in 1.3 perhaps even with related options
> in the repository.xml configuration file.
>
> However, you're right in that the change is quite trivial, and I'm already
> breaking the strict bug fix policy in 1.2.2 by introducing clustering
> improvements, so if you're in a hurry with this then I can consider
> including the change already now.

Thank you for considering my patch for inclusion.

We're not in that much of a hurry just yet. However, we will need to have a
stable release of our product ready in March and it's not certain if
Jackrabbit 1.3 will be ready and stable soon enough, and whether its release
will fit into our releace cycle etc. That's why I'd like to see this patch
squeezed into 1.2.2., if possible, just to be sure... But only if this
doesn't cause much trouble for you. Obviously this fix is not something
critical, so it's up to you to decide.

Regards,
Jaka

Re: Apache Jackrabbit 1.2.2 release plan

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On 2/1/07, Jaka Jaksic <ja...@telemach.net> wrote:
> I've just created the issue JCR-725 (about making cache sizes in
> CacheManager configurable) and attached a proposed patch. Do you think it
> could be included in 1.2.2?

In principle I'd rather not introduce feature changes in patch
releases. I'll probably be targetting to release Jackrabbit 1.3 in
March, and I'd prefer to include this change in 1.3 perhaps even with
related options in the repository.xml configuration file.

However, you're right in that the change is quite trivial, and I'm
already breaking the strict bug fix policy in 1.2.2 by introducing
clustering improvements, so if you're in a hurry with this then I can
consider including the change already now.

BR,

Jukka Zitting