Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by gl...@socrates.Berkeley.EDU on 2000/10/03 23:08:46 UTC

Compiling JServ

Sorry about repeating a question, seems like a waste of bandwidth, but...

I have been unable to compile JServ-1.1.2, for use with Apache1.3.12,
compiling against jdk1.3 and jsdk2.0.  I get  error messages like:

JServConnection.java:85: org.apache.jserv.JServConnection should be declared
abstract; it does not define flushBuffer() in org.apache.jserv.JServConnection
public class JServConnection

There are similar messages for three different source files in the same
directory: JServConnection.java, JServContext.java and JServSession.java.

flushBuffer() is not a declared method in any interface implemented by
JServConnection, nor (as far as I can tell) by any relavant superclass.
Which leaves me at a loss for a next thing to try...

I have tried adding an empty flushBuffer method, but that just brings
up a message about another unimplemented method.  I did this for five
iterations before finally giving up. It was pretty much a pointless
experiment anyway.

The last time I submitted this question I received a number of  answers
explaining to me the meaning of "abstract class".  While I appreciate that
people went to the trouble to respond to a question, I actually already
know the definition of "abstract class".  The question is, why am does
this message show up here, in a source package presumably ready for prime
time?  I have seen nothing in any documentation about abstract classes
needing to be implemented before compiling.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Glen Jackson
glen@socrates.berkeley.edu

Re: Compiling JServ

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 10/3/2000 2:08 PM, "glen@socrates.Berkeley.EDU"
<gl...@socrates.Berkeley.EDU> wrote:

> I have been unable to compile JServ-1.1.2, for use with Apache1.3.12,
> compiling against jdk1.3 and jsdk2.0.  I get  error messages like:
>
> JServConnection.java:85: org.apache.jserv.JServConnection should be declared
> abstract; it does not define flushBuffer() in org.apache.jserv.JServConnection
> public class JServConnection

Sigh...READ THE FAQ! This is the #1 question on there! Geezz...

<http://java.apache.org/jyve-faq/Turbine/screen/DisplayQuestionAnswer/action
/SetAll/project_id/1/faq_id/1/topic_id/1/question_id/723>

-jon

--
http://scarab.tigris.org/    | http://noodle.tigris.org/
http://java.apache.org/      | http://java.apache.org/turbine/