Posted to torque-user@db.apache.org by "Grey.Lee" <Le...@SunTrust.com> on 2004/04/19 02:38:59 UTC

JDBC to XML ant task

When I stumbled on the Wiki, I saw a brief mention of the "jdbc" ant target, which seems to read an existing JDBC connection and reverse-engineer the torque XML to match it.  I have not been able to locate any other mention, nor any documentation on this function.  Is there any?  Has anyone used it?

One of the things that worries me is wiping out my existing database by not understanding the subtleties of using Torque.  Is this a legitimate concern?  Which actions can drop tables or databases?  Do you get the chance to approve or cancel before it happens?

Thanks,

Lee Grey

SunTrust Bank
The information transmitted is intended solely
for the individual or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain confidential and/or
privileged material. Any review, retransmission,
dissemination or other use of or taking action
in reliance upon this information by persons or
entities other than the intended recipient is
prohibited. If you have received this email in
error please contact the sender and delete the
material from any computer.

Re: JDBC to XML ant task

Posted by T E Schmitz <ma...@numerixtechnology.de>.
Print Torque's build.xml off and have a good read. Things became much
clearer fo me then. The create-db target drops all tables and creates a
new empty db.

You will also find the "jdbc" target, which generates an xml schema from
your existing db.

Regards,

Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz

RE: JDBC to XML ant task

Posted by Daniel Huang <da...@cisco.com>.
Don't worry. The jdbc target just read an existing db schema and writes to schema.xml. It won't harm your database. I use it almost everyday. But be aware if you are going to use the generated schema.xml to create a db schema (by using ant sql followed by ant insert-sql), you might need to manually tweak schema.xml a little bit. For example, it does not generates non-PK unique constrains.

Regards,
Daniel