Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Igor Markovic <ig...@3mensio.com> on 2009/10/30 08:36:21 UTC

Using temporary branches and mergeinfo properties

Currently we have some developers in our company that work some days at
home. The other days they will work on site. The day before the
developer will work at home he will create a branch of his WC of the
trunk/branch he is currently working on.  The next day he will checkout
this temporary branch at his home computer and start working on it and
commit his changes to this temporary branch. When he's back at the
office the next day he will merge those changes back to the trunk/branch
that he was working on and delete the temporary branch. This process
will repeat itself each time.

After upgrading to subversion 1.6.5  (we previously used subversion
1.4.2) we started to have some problems with the merge. After merging
the files from the temporary branch to the local WC of the branch, a lot
of files will get notices as changed files even when the file hasn't
changed but only because merge properties have been added.  This very
annoying when doing a large commit as it will also contain a lot of
unchanged files that we revert by hand each time.

I understand that it can be useful sometimes keeping this merge
information when merging revisions from/to some branches, but because we
just use temporary branches, this information will be unnecessary to
keep. And won't the mergeinfo keep growing this way as it gets committed
to the trunk/branch each time?

What can/should we do to make this scenario work?

Thanks for your help.

Igor Markovic

Re: Using temporary branches and mergeinfo properties

Posted by Stein Somers <ss...@opnet.com>.
Stein Somers wrote:
> Assuming that you are merging full working copies, no subtrees,
 > then this shouldn't be a problem.

I meant: then the problem you described should not occur. You shouldn't have
all this mergeinfo. Only 1 on the top of /trunk and each branch.

--
Stein

RE: Using temporary branches and mergeinfo properties

Posted by Bob Archer <bo...@amsi.com>.
> Your thread has been somewhat merged into "svn 1.5 merge -c revision
> and svn
> diff/log confusion"...
>
> Igor Markovic wrote:
> > After upgrading to subversion 1.6.5  (we previously used subversion
> > 1.4.2)
>
> Assuming that you are merging full working copies, no subtrees, then
> this
> shouldn't be a problem. Although you can also follow Bob's method 2 and
> 3 (no
> mergeinfo at all).
>
> Are you sure nobody has secretly been using some 1.5.x client? I'm not
> sure
> the occurrence spurious mergeinfo is limited to 1.5.x versions, but I
> haven't
> seen it in 1.6.x. But if someone ever unknowingly committed spurious
> mergeinfo, it's not going away by itself.

It is probably possible to go through the log of trunk and see when these properties were introduced. At that point you will know who commit a merge at that point. You can get with them and make sure they are using 1.6 and know to merge from the root folders rather than at a child level or file level.

BOb

Re: Using temporary branches and mergeinfo properties

Posted by Stein Somers <ss...@opnet.com>.

Posted by Karol Szkudlarek <ka...@mikronika.com.pl>.
> After upgrading to subversion 1.6.5  (we previously used subversion
> 1.4.2) we started to have some problems with the merge.

Hello!

I'm noticed similar problems (but in 1.5.x).
Maybe you should consider downgrade to 1.4.x. :-)

Regards,
Karol

Re: Using temporary branches and mergeinfo properties

Posted by Stein Somers <ss...@opnet.com>.
Igor Markovic wrote:
> - Now we need to merge the fixed bugs from the branch back to the trunk. (so we just merge revisions back to the trunk. Not the whole branch)

I guess sometimes it will be the whole branch anyway, because you merge
up all bug fixes, and sometimes it will be only some revisions, because
some bug fixes are being handled more fundamentally, right?

> This will cause all kind of mergeinfo properties on unchanged files.

No. Only if you merge parts of a revision: subdirectories or files in
changesets only. Avoid the need for that. When you fix bug A and bug B,
commit them separately so that you can merge the changes separately, but
still merge the whole changeset at once. Or if you do need to merge a
piece, keep track of it yourself and don't commit mergeinfo on the parts.

--
Stein

RE: Using temporary branches and mergeinfo properties

Posted by Igor Markovic <ig...@3mensio.com>.
Sorry that I didn't replied for a while. I didn't noticed there were any replies on my message.

Ok, I'll try to explain it a bit more:
- All developers work on the trunk.
- After all features are in we have a feature stop and branch the whole trunk.
- Most developers will now continue to work on the trunk and add new features for future releases.
- We do some small bug fixing on the branch and when everything is working as it should, we tag the brach and release the product.

Till here everything is working as expected.

- Now we need to merge the fixed bugs from the branch back to the trunk. (so we just merge revisions back to the trunk. Not the whole branch)

This will cause all kind of mergeinfo properties on unchanged files.

We also sometimes work the other way around. We sometimes fix bugs on the trunk or add new features to the trunk that need to be merged to the branch (so we can release a service pack containig fixes/new feature based on the old version of the software). This will also cause a lot of empty mergeinfo properties for a lot of files.

Server: 1.6.5
Client: TurtoiseSVN 1.6.5, Subversion 1.6.5 (commandline tool)

It even goes wrong when I self create a branch, do some changes on that branch and merge those changes back to the trunk on the same computer (so no other/older version of SVN are used in between)

I noticed that it sometimes can help if I turn on the 'Ignore ancestry' checkbox when merging.

RE: Using temporary branches and mergeinfo properties

Posted by "Bolstridge, Andrew" <an...@intergraph.com>.
I think the best way is to only merge the entire tree at the root of the
branch, ie. Instead of merging a file, then another file. Merge the
entire thing in 1 go.

That way you only get mergeinfo on the root directory, no sub-merge.
Incidentally, I thought you only got mergeinfo on directories, not
files, so if you are seeing files that have 'changed' when they haven't,
perhaps you're seeing whitespace changes instead of property changes.