Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Steven Ross <ap...@bustspammers.com> on 2011/05/10 19:10:33 UTC

[users@httpd] Re: What are accept.lock files?

Trying one more time. Does anyone know?

Re: [users@httpd] Re: What are accept.lock files?

Posted by Steven Ross <ap...@bustspammers.com>.
On May 11, 2011, at 01:34 , John Doe wrote:

> From: Steven Ross <ap...@bustspammers.com>
>
>> OK, thanks. Even if they  are 5 years old and there are many newer
>> ones? They
>> are size 0, but still, I  find it weird they would fill up that
>> folder seemingly
>> indefinitely.
>> Does  it make a difference if I'm the only user ever using Apache
>> on my local
>> machine  (for testing websites I'm working on)? I actually blocked
>> port 80 in my
>> firewall, so no outsider could ever hit my Apache.
>
> *Personaly*, in your specific situation, I would just shutdown
> apache and
> manualy delete any left over accept.lock files...
>
> JD

Thanks!
I did that and everything seems to work just fine.

Posted by John Doe <jd...@yahoo.com>.
From: Steven Ross <ap...@bustspammers.com>

Posted by Steven Ross <ap...@bustspammers.com>.
On May 10, 2011, at 10:54 , Bennett, Tony wrote:

> Simplistically, they are files used by Apache to control
> exclusive access to some resources.
>
> Don't delete them.

OK, thanks. Even if they are 5 years old and there are many newer
ones? They are size 0, but still, I find it weird they would fill up
that folder seemingly indefinitely.

Does it make a difference if I'm the only user ever using Apache on my
local machine (for testing websites I'm working on)? I actually
blocked port 80 in my firewall, so no outsider could ever hit my Apache.

Thanks for your replies!

Posted by "Bennett, Tony" <Be...@con-way.com>.

On May 10, 2011, at 10:37 , Jeroen Geilman wrote:

> On May 7, 2011, at 14:16 , Steven Ross wrote:
>
>> I'm running the pre-installed Apache 2 on my Mac OS X 10.5.8
>> machine. The log directory (where it writes error and access logs)
>> is at:
>> /private/var/log/apache2/
>>
>> The directory is filled with files like accept.lock.x where x is a
>> number between 2 and 5 digits. They are all zero bytes long and
>> date back many years.
>>
>> What are they and can I delete all those empty files?

> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mpm_common.html#lockfile

Thanks. Read it and know about as much as before.

"The LockFile directive sets the path to the lockfile used when Apache
is used with an AcceptMutex value of either fcntl or flock."
??
Can someone please translate that into plain English?
I'm not a seasoned sys admin, just a user running Apache on my desktop
for web development. The way I read that, it describes a
"directive" (a config command?) that is used to create those lock
files. But it doesn't explain what those lock files are and why they
are needed in the first place.

I searched the net but couldn't find a good explanation. Would
appreciate any more hints or links.

Posted by Steven Ross <ap...@bustspammers.com>.

Posted by Jeroen Geilman <je...@adaptr.nl>.

--