Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Benjamin Jaton <be...@gmail.com> on 2019/04/24 00:06:13 UTC

How to have a separate log file for a thread and all sub threads?

Hello,

Several times I've been in a situation where in a given JVM I am trying to
run distinct jobs in separate threads, who themselves might spawn their own
threads.
In those situations I usually want the logging of each job in a separate
log file, and that has proven to be difficult.

Log4j2 has a routing appender that allows to create a separate appender for
each job given that you can provide a routing key that's unique for each
job. But what key to use for this?
I've been using a ThreadContext variable that I set at the level of the job
thread, and any child thread that I have control over.

But the problem is that I don't always have control over this. Sometimes
third party APIs let you feed a custom ThreadFactory, sometimes they don't.
When they don't, I can't set that ThreadContext variable and part of the
job logging will be misrouted to a different appender.

Is there a way to work around this so that there is 1 log file for each job
that would gather all the logging of the sub threads?

Thanks,
Benjamin

Re: How to have a separate log file for a thread and all sub threads?

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, 29 Apr 2019 at 14:18, Benjamin Jaton <be...@gmail.com> wrote:
> One thing I'm not sure about is how do you "set" the log level on a whole
> LoggerContext?

Take a look at Configurator. For example:
https://github.com/apache/logging-log4j2/blob/58d96d0e242eac260d5fe2317e54a6fc24332994/log4j-core/src/main/java/org/apache/logging/log4j/core/config/Configurator.java#L234

Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: How to have a separate log file for a thread and all sub threads?

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
You don’t. Each LoggerContext has its own hierarchy of Loggers. You would set the log level on the LoggerContext’s root Logger.

Ralph

Posted by Benjamin Jaton <be...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Benjamin Jaton <be...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: How to have a separate log file for a thread and all sub threads?

Posted by Benjamin Jaton <be...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: How to have a separate log file for a thread and all sub threads?

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benjamin Jaton <be...@gmail.com>.
OK thanks. It's good to know the limitations, I think it's good enough for
my use case.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Benjamin Jaton <be...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
The relevant section is - https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/java/lang/Thread.html#Thread-java.lang.ThreadGroup-java.lang.Runnable- <https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/java/lang/Thread.html#Thread-java.lang.ThreadGroup-java.lang.Runnable->.

Posted by Benjamin Jaton <be...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Apache <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Benjamin Jaton <be...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
I think the solution is pretty simple. The RoutingAppender doesn’t only work with the ThreadContext. It works using a lookup. So if you were to use a ThreadLookup that used ${{thread:id}} you would get a new Appender for each thread id. To be honest, I am not sure why we haven’t created a ThreadLookup before. I could easily see multiple places were the thread id, name, priority or ThreadGroup name might want to be used.