Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Adam Stroud <ad...@gmail.com> on 2004/09/29 14:11:14 UTC

svnserve

All:

I am attempting to run svnserve from inetd with the "-r " option and
it does not seem to be working.  I can still access the repo with
svn+ssh://<hostname>/path/to/repo.  However, svn+ssh://<hostname>/repo
does not work.  I get an error telling me that the repo does not
exist.  Any ideas?

Re: svnserve

Posted by Peter Williams <pe...@aurema.com>.
Erik Huelsmann wrote:

>>>Yes. Create a wrapper which passes the extra argument to svnserve like this:
>>>
>>>#!/bin/sh
>>>
>>>/usr/bin/svnserve -r /my/repos/root "$@"
>>>
>>>and make sure it's in your path before svnserve itself.
>>>
>>>HTH,
>>>
>>>Erik.
>>>

>>Seems very clunky.  It would be nice if this was something that could be
>>set in a user's configuration files.
>

> That would mean the repository URL might be different for different
> users. That would be confusing at least. I'd prefer the wrapper
> anytime.

OK.  Perhaps it should be settable in some global configuration file on
the server.  It's very disconcerting to have to use a different value
for svn+ssh: than for svn: because the intuitive model is that one is
just a secure form of the other.

Peter
--
Dr Peter Williams, Chief Scientist                peterw@aurema.com
Aurema Pty Limited                                Tel:+61 2 9698 2322

Re: svnserve

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.

> >>Is there a way to use the (very useful) -r functionality with svn+ssh?
> >

> > Yes. Create a wrapper which passes the extra argument to svnserve like this:
> >
> > #!/bin/sh
> >
> > /usr/bin/svnserve -r /my/repos/root "$@"
> >
> > and make sure it's in your path before svnserve itself.
> >
> > HTH,
> >
> > Erik.
> >

> Seems very clunky.  It would be nice if this was something that could be
> set in a user's configuration files.

That would mean the repository URL might be different for different
users. That would be confusing at least. I'd prefer the wrapper
anytime.

bye,

Erik.

Re: svnserve

Posted by Peter Williams <pe...@aurema.com>.

Re: svnserve

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <e....@gmx.net>.

GMX ProMail mit bestem Virenschutz http://www.gmx.net/de/go/mail

Re: svnserve

Posted by Peter Williams <pe...@aurema.com>.

Re: svnserve

Posted by Marc Haisenko <ha...@webport.de>.
On Wednesday 29 September 2004 16:11, Adam Stroud wrote:
> All:
>
> I am attempting to run svnserve from inetd with the "-r " option and
> it does not seem to be working.  I can still access the repo with
> svn+ssh://<hostname>/path/to/repo.  However, svn+ssh://<hostname>/repo
> does not work.  I get an error telling me that the repo does not
> exist.  Any ideas?

If you use the svn+ssh:// scheme you bypass the svnserve from inetd. You'd
just have to use svn:// instead.

--
Marc Haisenko
Systemspezialist