Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Fernando Doglio <fe...@moove-it.com> on 2012/03/06 14:21:06 UTC

Looking for a place to start

Hello everyone, this is my first mail to list.

My question has probably been answered before, but I couldn't find a way to
search through the archives so.. here it goes:

I've been toying around with Hadoop for a few weeks now, I've installed
Cloudera's VM, tried some of the examples, wrote the classic word count
example (seems like it's the "hello world" of Hadoop :P)  using streaming
and now I'm looking for a  bigger challenge.

My main purpose of these tests is to train myself to think in "big data"
terms, instead of the classic approach a web developer takes when dealing
with information.

So, taking all this into account, what would you recommend I try next? I've
been looking for a big source of data to work with, something to get
information out of. I know I could generate it myself, but I was hoping
that something like that would already exists somewhere.

What where your next steps when starting out with this tech?

Thanks in advance!

Fernando

RE: Looking for a place to start

Posted by Dave Shine <Da...@channelintelligence.com>.
I suggest you get a copy of Hadoop, The Definitive Guide by Tom White.  I found it very informative when I was first starting out.

As for sample "big data" , the book uses weather data from the NCDC.  You can download it from https://github.com/tomwhite/hadoop-book/tree/master/input/ncdc/all

Dave

[...]

The information contained in this email message is considered confidential and proprietary to the sender and is intended solely for review and use by the named recipient. Any unauthorized review, use or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender by reply email and delete the message.

Re: Looking for a place to start

Posted by Fernando Doglio <fe...@moove-it.com>.
Thank you, everyone, I'll try to take a look at the book suggested by Dave
and Alexander... you're right, I was just looking for something else aside
from logs, but it could be a good start, you're right :)

Thanks again!