Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Larry Cotton <la...@ntlworld.com> on 2003/04/24 13:52:32 UTC

[users@httpd] Start up problems : could not bind to address

Hi

I have downloaded and built apache 2.0.45
(<http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/packages/infosystems/WWW/servers/apache/httpd/httpd-2.0.45.tar.gz>httpd-2.0.45.tar.gz
) and am using Redhat 8.0 kernel version 2.4.18.

When I try to run 'apachectl start' I get the following message :
(13)Permission denied: make_sock: could not bind to address 127.0.0.1:80
Unable to open logs

The error occurs when I run as root and myself and whether the Listen
directive is 80 or 127.0.0.1:80.

Does anyone know what might be happening here ?
Does it mean there is something else bound to port 80 ? and if so how do I
find out what ? and how do I change it ?

Cheers
Larry

Re: [users@httpd] Start up problems : could not bind to address

Posted by System <sy...@eluminoustechnologies.com>.
Check if port 80 is not been used by any other application.

Tina.

Posted by Nikunj Virani <ni...@netsurf.co.in>.
What user are your restarting apache as ? root or some other user.

> Does anyone know what might be happening here ?

The  error could be result of either:
1. Insufficient privileges.
2. 80 port already been used up by some other daemon.
3. Incorrect configurations.

> Does it mean there is something else bound to port 80 ? and if so how do I
> find out what ? and how do I change it ?

You can check if some other daemon is bound to 80 port by using: nmap
machinname. Which should provide you with the active port used. check for
port 80.  Most probably apache which comes with RH8 is already running which
could be stopped by /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd stop.

Also cross check your ErrorLog and CustomLog directive in your httpd.conf.
And see if the logs file exist and have correct permissions.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
NikunJ Virani