Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Michael Motet <mi...@motet.dk> on 2005/02/03 12:33:27 UTC

Infrastructure Configuration and installation with James Mailserver

Hi,

our client would like to use james mailserver running from a windows
2003 server.
The expected amount of users will be at least 200 - 300 000 users.
The repository will be a MS SQL database.

We would like to know of any experience with such a setup.
I expect we will try to have 2 james instances running on 2 servers for
fall over. Have anyone experience with server fail detection ? And how
to make sure at least one server is running ?

- Michael

RE: Infrastructure Configuration and installation with James Mailserver

Posted by Daniel Perry <d....@netcase.co.uk>.
2-300K users?

That could give some serious number of concurrent pop3 sessions! Of course
this depends on who's using the server, and how often they will be using it!

say 100k users checking email every 20 mins... at 10 seconds per session,
that would give an average of 830 concurrent sessions at any given time!

For externally accessible SMTP server fail detection isnt an issue - just
kicks over to the second server thanks to mx records.

For internal pop3/smtp... not sure how would be best to handle it.

I would suggest some kind of load balancing, though i'm not sure if james
would work.

Is it possible to run more than one instance of james (on different
machines) all using the same database?

Ie. Set up one db server. Set up two externally facing machines that handle
incoming email. Set up 1 or more pop3 servers reading from same database.
Optionally set up another smtp server for relaying externally.

Would this work? I cant see a problem if only the inbox repositories are
shared and you keep the spools separate.  Although james may not like more
than one thing writing to the same repository?

Daniel.