Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by "Jian.Wu" <he...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/30 03:21:55 UTC

[m2]Is Plugin associated with Packaging but type is used for dependency?

Hi,

I just tried to get a general understanding of Maven2 Runtime behavior.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

It looks like that Maven Plugin is associated with packaging and Maven2
Runtime is invoking the associated Plugins for the packaging defined in
pom.xml. Is this correct?

And, is the plugin-packaging-association bootstraped from components.xml
inside maven-core.jar?

Meanwhile, the type is used to resolve the dependency, either module
dependency or library dependency.

But, I could not find any clear definition on how a type will map to a
project
with packaging assuming Maven2 Runtime will not resolve the dependency
based on packaging since "packaging" is not a valid sub-element of
"dependency" element.

Will this end up that we can only introduce new packaging at the
top-level project and this new packaging can not be used in any
non-top-level project as a sub-project since Maven2 Runtime don't
know how to resolve this dependency when it appears in the middle
of dependency graph?

Thanks a lot for the help!

Jian

Re: [m2]Is Plugin associated with Packaging but type is used for dependency?

Posted by Stephane Nicoll <st...@gmail.com>.
That's good. I will implement it that way then.

Cheers,
Stéphane

On 4/10/06, Jian.Wu <he...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Stephane,
>
> I just reveiwed MEAR-26, it should solve my problem. And, I assume that
> the value of "mapping" element could be any standard j2ee component
> type like ejb and war.
>
> Thanks a lot for your help!
>
> Jian

.::You're welcome ::.

Re: [m2]Is Plugin associated with Packaging but type is used for dependency?

Posted by Stephane Nicoll <st...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jian,

Just to be sure that I fully undestood your problem; could you please
confirm that http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MEAR-26 would solve this
problem?

Thanks,
Stéphane

On 4/9/06, Jian.Wu <he...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Brett,
>
> Thanks a lot for your reply!
>
> I followed the "Introduction to the Build Lifecycle" and created "my-rar"
> package and
> I had problem using "my-rar" with maven-ear-plugin. At first, I thought it
> is the problem
> of dependency resolution of maven. Later on, I realized that it is
> maven-ear-plugin
> could not recognize "my-rar" type. So, I end up create "my-ear" package to
> resolve
> it.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Jian

.::You're welcome ::.

Re: [m2]Is Plugin associated with Packaging but type is used for dependency?

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
package to type mappings are predefined in maven-artifact's
components.xml, however any plugin can provide it's own through the
extensions mechanism, which I believe you were using in the other rar
example. The first part of your email is completely correct in how it works.

Cheers,
Brett