Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@wso2.com> on 2007/03/16 10:50:12 UTC

AddressingValidationHandler prevents the SynapseDispatcher from getting the message

Hi

Why does the AddressingValidationHandler throw an ActionNotSupported
fault if a message contained addressing, but fails to dispatch using
addressing? In Synapse, we place a custom SynapseDispatcher to grab any
messages that have not been dispatched by any of the other dispatchers,
and if the AddressingBasedDispatcher fails, we know how to handle it.
Also this worked until Axis2 1.1.1, but now it is broken

asankha

Re: [Axis2] Re: AddressingValidationHandler prevents the SynapseDispatcher from getting the message

Posted by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@wso2.com>.
Thanks Glen

I will check this with Synapse ASAP

asankha

Posted by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@wso2.com>.
Thanks Glen / David! This would be great.. I didn't want to try to make
a fix on code that I was not familiar with..

Sorry for the delay in replying to this mail ...
reagrds
asankha

Posted by David Illsley <da...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Glen.

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.

Posted by David Illsley <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Glen/David

Any chance either of you can provide a patch to support Synapse with Option 3?

Paul

On 3/19/07, Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com> wrote:
> Hi David, Asankha:
>
> David Illsley wrote:
> > There are therefore 3 routes forward I'd like you to consider
> > 1. Synapse deploys its SynapseDispatcher between the
> > AddressingBasedDispatcher and the AddressingValidationHandler
> > 2. Synapse deploys a custom module.xml which does not include the
> > AddressingValidationHandler
> > 3. We allow configuration of the AddressingValidationHandler through a
> > parameter
>
> If we did 1, then we'd lose the ability to have Synapse co-deployed with
> standard Axis services since Synapse would grab everything.  If we did
> 2, similar problems.
>
> I think 3 is the way to go.  The simplest solution would be to provide a
> property "addressing.disableActionValidation" which would let Synapse
> shut off the exception throwing.
>
> --Glen

Paul Fremantle

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.
Hi David, Asankha:

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.
Hi David, Asankha:

Posted by David Illsley <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Asankha,
There are a couple of reasons for this code..
1. During interoperability testing of the WS-A WSDL Binding Doc (in
the W3C), other participants indicated that they though that that
fault must be thrown if the received action is incorrect.
2. (Separately) During interoperability testing with MS endpoints, the
MS endpoint would reject a message that had an incorrect action,
whereas when the client and endpoint is axis2, everything is fine.
This left a general perception that there is an interoperability
problem between Axis2 and MS whereas the truth is the the client has
been incorrectly developed. I'd like client authors to find the
problem when working in the all Axis2 environment rather than it
appearing as a problem later on.

I suspect we could (and perhaps will) disagree on whether we should be
giving the user rope  and a wobbly box to stand on to hang themselves
but my preference is not to.

I do, however, (as with the mustUnderstand case) agree that to use
Axis2 in an ESB, up-front validation may not be desirable.

There are therefore 3 routes forward I'd like you to consider
1. Synapse deploys its SynapseDispatcher between the
AddressingBasedDispatcher and the AddressingValidationHandler
2. Synapse deploys a custom module.xml which does not include the
AddressingValidationHandler
3. We allow configuration of the AddressingValidationHandler through a parameter

I'm happy with any of these, what do you think?
David

Posted by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@wso2.com>.
David