Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org> on 2003/06/18 14:42:14 UTC

The Creator Usecase

Hi Lenya developers,

I'm still examining the creator (lenya) usecase.
My goal is to identify the currently known (SWD) usecases,
clarify the creator architecture and provide a guide
how to add new types of document creation.

(BTW - is there anything we can do to avoid the clash
between the meanings of the term "usecase" in Lenya and
in software development?)

At the moment, the situation seems to be as follows:
The creator type is implemented as a Cocoon Action.
This makes it impossible to select the creator
dynamically and requires special lenya.usecase sitemap
pipelines in a publication for all different creators
that are used.

I would rather suggest the following architecture:

- The premise is:
   creator =
       confirmation screen generator
       + confirmation screen XSLT
       + executing Java class

- A creator is an Ant task.

- You write a target for each creator type. The creator is
   defined in the <taskdef> tag.

- If the creator needs special parameters, you write an
   appropriate generator (e.g., as XSP) for the confirmation
   screen. For all "generic" creators, there is an XSP in
   lenya/content/authoring.

- You write an appropriate XSLT. For all "generic" creators,
   there is an XSLT in lenya/xslt/authoring.

- There is only one lenya.usecase in the usecase sitemap.

The question is how to choose the appropriate XSP + XSLT
dynamically, based on the menu entry. I could imagine
to use a request parameter:

<map:generate src="lenya/content/authoring/
     create-{request-param:lenya.creator}.xsp"/>

(with fallback from publication-specific to generic).

What do you think?

Andreas

RE: The Creator Usecase

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.

The creator type is implemented as a Cocoon Action.
This makes it impossible to select the creator
<<

seems more flexible, so +1

The question is how to choose the appropriate XSP + XSLT
dynamically, based on the menu entry. I could imagine
to use a request parameter:

<map:generate src="lenya/content/authoring/
     create-{request-param:lenya.creator}.xsp"/>

(with fallback from publication-specific to generic).
<<

i think that would work.

-gregor