Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2013/08/01 17:22:54 UTC

I'm thinking it would be good to do a 2.4.2 SDK bug fix release?

I'm thinking it would best for the UIMA users if we were to do a 2.4.2 Java SDK
release soon (in the next week or so?) to fix the 7 issues that popped up when
we got the 2.4.1 SDK out into the community.

WDYT?

The issues:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=fixVersion%20%3D%20%222.4.2SDK%22%20AND%20project%20%3D%20UIMA

-Marshall

Re: I'm thinking it would be good to do a 2.4.2 SDK bug fix release?

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.
On 08/13/2013 08:21 PM, Eddie Epstein wrote:
> Hi Thilo,
>
> Are you going to share your crud-list? Enquiring Minds Need To Know!

Hi Eddie,

no.  Since I see no interest in moving UIMA forward in any
non-backward compatible way, I'll save myself the time. My
interest in UIMA is very slight these days, so the initiative
would have to come from somebody else.

--Thilo

Re: I'm thinking it would be good to do a 2.4.2 SDK bug fix release?

Posted by Eddie Epstein <ea...@gmail.com>.
Hi Thilo,

Are you going to share your crud-list? Enquiring Minds Need To Know!

Eddie

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
> Am 05.08.2013 um 16:02 schrieb Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>:
>
>> On 8/5/2013 9:22 AM, Richard Eckart de Castilho wrote:
>>> Thanks :) I think that UIMA-3141 or rather the discussion is spawned
>>> may go on for longer. Lets do 2.4.2 without resolving UIMA-3141 first.
>>>
>>> Or let take the opportunity and call it 2.5.0 this time? ;)
>> This is a hard choice to balance:
>>   1) indicating that it is substantially different from the 2.4.0 level (new
>> features)
>>   2) the x.x.0 level usually means the big delta, with more likely bugs yet to
>> be found, while
>>       the x.x.2 level usually means a bug fix (as we've discussed earlier).
>>
>> I think I'm leaning toward 2.4.2, but if others have strong rationalizations,
>> for 2.5.0, please reply :-)
> For curiosity: what will it take to do a UIMA 3.0.0? Just to get a glimpse at the
> other end of the spectrum.

I'll let others answer this :-).  It's the kind of thing, for me, that one would
recognize, when it happens.

-Marshall

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <ri...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <ri...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
sure,

I also applied 3143

-M

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <ri...@gmail.com>.
Marshal,

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <ri...@gmail.com>.
Most of the time I override the Maven release plugin default ;)

In a three-segment version (x.y.z), I tend to adopt the following scheme:

The x-segment, I use for major features and/or incompatible changes. Hence
a lot of changes in uimaFIT had to wait for the upcoming 2.0.0 release.

The y-segment, I use for normal feature releases. Depending on the project
that may or may not include incompatible changes. For a rather stable
project like uimaFIT, a y-segment increase should not include incompatible
changes.

The z-segment, I reserve for bugfix releases (stuff necessary between feature
releases because of oversights, unexpected issues, etc.) A bugfix release
should never include incompatible changes. It may fix incompatible changes
accidentially introduced in a y-segment release.

I think the 2.4.1 release definitely has a different quality than the
bugfix 2.4.2 release. I've seen people add an extra digit in such cases
(2.4.1.1). Artifactory versions had such cases in the past. But I don't
know the rationale behind their 3-segment versions.

It may be good to document a versioning guideline for UIMA somewhere.

Cheers,

-- Richard

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <ri...@gmail.com>.