Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Admin <ad...@hostingohio.com> on 2002/01/27 21:32:27 UTC

help with user directories and virtual hosts

I'm doing name based virtual hosting with Apache 1.3.19 on a Red Hat 7.1,
intel based, box.

I would like to add something like a publi_html directory to each user's
webpage space.  Something like:

/home/joe/shmoe-www/public_html

where user 'joe' has a webpage named 'www.shmoe.com' and he can use the
public_html directory to put files in for stuff like anonymous downloads.
I tried doing some editing of my httpd.conf file to get this done, but I'm
obviously not doing something right.  Is there a simple way I can
accomplish this without getting into re-write rules?

Admin
admin@hostingohio.com
www.hostingohio.com

Re: help with user directories and virtual hosts

Posted by Admin <ad...@hostingohio.com>.
You know there may be a .htaccess problem.  I had enabled it in the Main
server section awhile ago when I was trying to set it up, but I had
forgotten that I left it enabled.  I commented out that part of the main
server file which governed .htaccess and I also did:

<Directory /home/admin/hostingohio-www/cs>
Options +Indexes
</Directory>

Note: in each other attempt I'd left out the '-www' which is part of the
directory name.  So it looks like I had several problems going for me *heh*
but it's working now.

Thanks!

Posted by Daniel Lopez <da...@rawbyte.com>.
> The error_log says:
>
> Directory index fobidden by rule: /home/admin/hostingohio/cs/
>
> 'Options Indexes' is uncommented in the main server configuration section
> of httpd.conf so I just assumed one should be able to browse if no
> index.html file is present, but apparently that is not the case. I did add
> an 'Options Indexes' line to hostingohio's VH configuration section, but no
> dice.  Same error.  The permissions seem okay.

Do you have a .htaccess file in that directory that may be interfering?

Try putting a

<Directory /home/admin/hostingohio/cs>
Options +Indexes
</Directory>

and see what happens

> But perhaps you are right that is it more a virtual hosts question and I
> should direct it there.

Nope, it seems like a directory index problem, because of the error message.

Re: help with user directories and virtual hosts

Posted by Daniel Lopez <da...@rawbyte.com>.
Can you post the entry that appears in the error_log? it likely contains
info on why it is being denied

Posted by Admin <ad...@hostingohio.com>.

Posted by Daniel Lopez <da...@rawbyte.com>.
> Yeah I've read both.  Neither really addresses my need.  I opened up the
> lines in httpd.conf (global section) which control access to user
> directories ( ~/username/) and I tried adding a line to one virtual host as
> follows:
>
> UserDir /home/joe/shmoe-www/public_html
>
> With the hope that I could just type:
>
> www.shmoe.com/public_html
>
> and get back a plain text list of files in that directory, but it didn't work.

I am trying to understand what you are trying to do, but I am having trouble
doing so :)

Posted by Admin <ad...@hostingohio.com>.

Posted by Daniel Lopez <da...@rawbyte.com>.