Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Bogdan Cristea <cr...@gmail.com> on 2008/12/26 07:14:09 UTC

Fwd: Re: [opensuse] Compiling subversion from sources

I have tried recently to compile svn 1.5.5 on openSuSE 11.1, but I cannot due
to a missing library, libneon.la. I have posted this issue on openSuSE forum
and they say that this library is not needed in order to compile svn (see
below their message). Perhaps this issue could be fixed in the next releases
of svn.

Subject: Re: [opensuse] Compiling subversion from sources
Date: Friday 26 December 2008
From: Philipp Thomas <Ph...@gmx.net>
To: opensuse@opensuse.org

On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 20:28:39 +0200, you wrote:

>I have noticed that there is no static library libneon.a in the default
>openSuSE 11.1 distribution. Compiling neon from sources as static library
>generates both libneon.a and libneon.la

The static version isn't needed, it's just an error/bug in the
subversion source configuration. Had you unpacked a recent openSUSE
.src.rpm and looked into subversion.spec you'd have seen that one of
the patches we apply is subversion-1.5.x-no-neon-la.patch that
contains:

-            NEON_LIBS=`$neon_config --la-file`
+            NEON_LIBS=`$neon_config --libs`

So edit build/ac-macros/neon.m4 and make the same change and you
should be able to compile subversion 1.5.5.

As a general rule: before complaining that openSUSE lacks something
for compiling a package that we also provide, please look into the
spec file of our .src.rpm. Chances are rather good that our source
RPMs contain patches that fix the problem.

Re: [opensuse] Compiling subversion from sources

Posted by Peter Samuelson <pe...@p12n.org>.
[Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis]
> $ neon-config --libs
> -Wl,-O1,--as-needed,--gc-sections,--hash-style=gnu,--sort-common -lneon -lz -lgnutls -lpakchois -lexpat
> $ pkg-config --libs neon
> -lneon

Not all the world's a Linux, by which I mean, pkg-config is not
installed on every Unix system out there.  But when pkg-config is
available, I think it should be preferred (it is ".la files done
right").
--
Peter Samuelson | org-tld!p12n!peter | http://p12n.org/

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=994629

Re: [opensuse] Compiling subversion from sources

Posted by Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis <Ar...@GMail.Com>.
2008-12-27 01:27:09 Philipp Thomas napisał(a):
> On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 16:11:57 +0100, you wrote:
>
> >2008-12-26 15:27:39 philipp@thogro.org napisa?(a):
> >> Care to explain why $neon_config --libs can't be used?
> >
> >It additionally returns LDFLAGS and dependent libraries.
>
> And why is that bad? At least the dependent libs should be correct, at
> least 'pkg-config --libs' will also give you the dependent libs in
> addition to the neon lib.

I might want to use different LDFLAGS for different packages. Subversion binaries
should contain NEEDED entries only for directly used libraries.

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=993489

Re: [opensuse] Compiling subversion from sources

Posted by Philipp Thomas <ph...@thogro.org>.
On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 16:11:57 +0100, you wrote:

>2008-12-26 15:27:39 philipp@thogro.org napisa?(a):
>> Care to explain why $neon_config --libs can't be used?
>
>It additionally returns LDFLAGS and dependent libraries.

And why is that bad? At least the dependent libs should be correct, at
least 'pkg-config --libs' will also give you the dependent libs in
addition to the neon lib. libneon.la would also give you the name of
the lib plus all its dependent libs.

Philipp

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=993474

Re: [opensuse] Compiling subversion from sources

Posted by Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis <Ar...@GMail.Com>.
2008-12-26 15:27:39 philipp@thogro.org napisał(a):
> Care to explain why $neon_config --libs can't be used?

It additionally returns LDFLAGS and dependent libraries.

--
Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=992966

Re: [opensuse] Compiling subversion from sources

Posted by ph...@thogro.org.
Care to explain why $neon_config --libs can't be used? It works in openSUSE.

Philipp

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=992944

Re: Fwd: Re: [opensuse] Compiling subversion from sources

Posted by Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis <Ar...@GMail.Com>.
2008-12-26 08:14:09 Bogdan Cristea napisał(a):
> I have tried recently to compile svn 1.5.5 on openSuSE 11.1, but I cannot due
> to a missing library, libneon.la. I have posted this issue on openSuSE forum
> and they say that this library is not needed in order to compile svn (see
> below their message). Perhaps this issue could be fixed in the next releases
> of svn.

`neon-config --libs` cannot be used. Perhaps we could use `pkg-config --libs neon`.

> Subject: Re: [opensuse] Compiling subversion from sources
> Date: Friday 26 December 2008
> From: Philipp Thomas <Ph...@gmx.net>
> To: opensuse@opensuse.org
>
> On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 20:28:39 +0200, you wrote:
>
> >I have noticed that there is no static library libneon.a in the default
> >openSuSE 11.1 distribution. Compiling neon from sources as static library
> >generates both libneon.a and libneon.la
>
> The static version isn't needed, it's just an error/bug in the
> subversion source configuration.

Generation of libneon.a depends on Neon source configuration, not Subversion.
You can use --disable-static option. You should never run any configure script
without reading `./configure --help`.

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=992919

Re: [opensuse] Compiling subversion from sources

Posted by Philipp Thomas <ph...@thogro.org>.
> and they say that this library is not needed in order to compile svn (see
> below their message).

Let me set this straight. We're trying to get rid of .la files because they lead to huge and bloated dependency lists and aren't needed on Linux except for tracking dependencies of static libraries (which we're also trying to get rid of :) so we patch neon.m4 as stated.