Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com> on 2007/11/07 23:32:23 UTC

Re: ajax integration with struts

Lalchandra Rampersaud wrote:
 > I  would like to integrate ajax within a struts app, but I have no
idea how
 > to go about doing that.

Is there a question in there somewhere?

Ah, never mind, I was going to leave you with just the wise-a** answer,
but I'll be nice :)

AJAX isn't something you "integrate" into an app per se, it's a
technique you make use of.  What are you trying to accomplish?  We can
give you some options, because there's many in the AJAX space, once you
tell us what it is you'll actually trying to do.

Frank

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect

Re: ajax integration with struts

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
Lalchandra Rampersaud wrote:
 > I am making a calendar so I just want to update parts of the page.

Well, that's indeed exactly what AJAX is for, but that's still not an
especially specific answer.  You may want to start from the beginning:

http://www.omnytex.com/articles/

The article about AJAX with Struts will give you a decent start in
understanding the basic concepts.  The article about AjaxParts Taglib
shows you one possible alternative.

Another good reference is this wiki page on the Struts wiki:

http://wiki.apache.org/struts/AjaxStruts

This has links to yet more resources.

If you're using Struts 2, there is some built-in AJAX capabilities
you'll want to explore, but I'm frankly not that well-reversed in them
myself, but just hop on over to the S2 docs and you should find what you
need.

Other popular options that would work with S1 or S2 include Dojo
(dojotoolkit.org), jQuery (jquery.com) and Prototype (prototypejs.org),
just to name a few.

Frank

Posted by Ingo Villnow <in...@googlemail.com>.
I would suggest you to view the "javawebparts" tools
(http://javawebparts.sourceforge.net/)
After integration, you can render a calendar like this:

onclick="showCalendar(projectForm.begin);"/>
            <uiwidgets:calendar minYear="2005" maxYear="2012"
styleOverrides="none" />

Greetings, Ingo

Posted by Lalchandra Rampersaud <lr...@ceis.cujae.edu.cu>.