Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Thomas E Deweese <th...@kodak.com> on 2002/09/04 15:06:13 UTC

[RE] AW: [RE] Transcoder Bug? - Problems with Umlauts

AM> Hello, i need your help. I have some problems with umlauts. Im
AM> using the HelveticaNeue Font in PostScript. I have changed it in
AM> TrueType with a Programm and used it then with the transcoder.  I
AM> get the following result. The umlauts have after transcoding false
AM> positions.

TD> Sorry, I don't know much about how umlauts are generally
TD> specified, so you will have to help me a bit here.

TD> Do you know if the problem is with the SVG font or the rendering
TD> of the font?  If you could include at least the glyphs you are
TD> using from the font it would help diagnose the problem.

AM> I think the problem comes from the rendering procedure, cause the
AM> svg file looks correct.

    How are you judging the correctness of the SVG file?  My suspicion
is that the SVG font is specifying the wrong place for the umlauts.
Unless you did some messing around with the SVG this would be
difficult to detect and could easily give this effect.

    Without having access to the umlaut glyphs in the SVG Font I
probably can't help you.  You can email me privately if you don't want
it on the list.

TD> Also are the umlauts done using one glyph or two glyphs (where the
TD> second glyph 'backs up' over the preceeding glyph).  If it's two
TD> glyphs (which I suspect from looking at the output) the problem
TD> may be a bug that was recently fixed in the tt2svg converter (the
TD> sign on hkern values was wrong).  What version of Batik was used?

AM> I´m currently using batik 1.5 beta3.

    The fix I made was included in this release, so this is not the
issue.  You didn't say if the umlauts were done as one glyph or two
though.