Posted to user@metron.apache.org by tkg_cangkul <yu...@gmail.com> on 2017/10/16 09:23:12 UTC

event correlation on metron

hi,

anyone could explain me about event correlation using apache metron?
does metron support event correlation?

Pls Advice

Fwd: event correlation on metron

Posted by Youzha <yu...@gmail.com>.
Posted by Youzha <yu...@gmail.com>.
is there any documentation to create new sensor in metron?

On Wed, 18 Oct 2017 at 01.22 Simon Elliston Ball <
simon@simonellistonball.com> wrote:

> Best bet there is to create a new sensor config using the grok parser
> type. So you would for example have a kafka topic called host_dhcp and a
> sensor called host_dhcp with the relevant grok pattern.
>
> Simon
>

> On 17 Oct 2017, at 19:19, Youzha <yu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> that’s what i mean.
> what sensor that i need if i want to do this case?
> especially when i wanna parse some host logs into metron enrichment and
> indexing
>
> On Wed, 18 Oct 2017 at 01.03 Simon Elliston Ball <
> simon@simonellistonball.com> wrote:
>
>> What you want to do in this setting is just TailFile, the just push to
>> Kafka. The grok piece is more efficiently handled in the Metron grok parser.
>>
>> Push to a kafka topic named for your sensor, then setup a sensor (a
>> parser topology to do the grok parsing and any transformation you need).
>> Each sensor gets its own parser topology.
>>
>> Simon
>>

>> On 17 Oct 2017, at 19:00, Youzha <yu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> after nifi procces :
>>
>> TAILFILE -> TRANSFORM_TO_GROK -> PUSH_KAFKA
>>
>> what metron topology that i can use to procces the data in kafka? so it
>> can be enrichment by metron. i’ve check the article about adding new
>> telemetry source with squid, there is a squid topology that will ingest
>> from the squid topic in kafka and then put on enrichment kafka topic.
>> so how about my use case above? is there any topology that i can use?
>>
>> On Wed, 18 Oct 2017 at 00.30 Otto Fowler <ot...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> So,
>>> There are several options parsing the data and enriching.
>>>
>>> 1.  A native parser ( java ), which you have noticed is not there
>>> 2.  An instance of the GROK parser, with GROK rules that parser the input
>>> 3.  If it is CSV an instance of the CSV parser

Posted by Simon Elliston Ball <si...@simonellistonball.com>.

Posted by Youzha <yu...@gmail.com>.
that’s what i mean.

Posted by Simon Elliston Ball <si...@simonellistonball.com>.

Posted by Youzha <yu...@gmail.com>.
after nifi procces :

Posted by ed d <ra...@hotmail.com>.
is there a guide of sorts we can follow, or noodle through, to write our own java based parser?

or do we need to just java through and figure it out?

________________________________

On 2017-10-17 08:53, Youzha wrote:

is it possible to ingest other logs like /var/log/secure for example to be new telemetry on metron? i've seen the metron architecture on the website like picture below. host logs, email, av, etc can be telemetry event buffer on metron. if this possible, could you give me some suggestion how to do it ?

[X]

  "foreach": "user.name<https://nam03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fuser.name&data=02%7C01%7Cragdelaed%40hotmail.com%7Cfff6af2580d14dbe7cc108d51584d773%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636438582643979156&sdata=CAtDY7OiqSOr4217Br0AAS7oG2GBtd6kHU8wgxvFn4s%3D&reserved=0>",

* https://github.com/apache/metron/tree/master/metron-analytics/metron-profiler<https://nam03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fapache%2Fmetron%2Ftree%2Fmaster%2Fmetron-analytics%2Fmetron-profiler&data=02%7C01%7Cragdelaed%40hotmail.com%7Cfff6af2580d14dbe7cc108d51584d773%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636438582643979156&sdata=yqV3Vo%2FA766aAh5wfeCWX%2BH%2BhqQTMh4zveuIV%2BtJMJU%3D&reserved=0>
* https://www.slideshare.net/secret/GFBf2RTXBG35PB<https://nam03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.slideshare.net%2Fsecret%2FGFBf2RTXBG35PB&data=02%7C01%7Cragdelaed%40hotmail.com%7Cfff6af2580d14dbe7cc108d51584d773%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636438582643979156&sdata=9linbLpi2yvYFV4jtcA4sK5neMIggpGr4Lc2c%2BaGTwo%3D&reserved=0>

Posted by Otto Fowler <ot...@gmail.com>.
So,

Posted by Youzha <yu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Lauren thx for your reply,

On 2017-10-17 08:53, Youzha wrote:

> is it possible to ingest other logs like /var/log/secure for example to be new telemetry on metron? i've seen the metron architecture on the website like picture below. host logs, email, av, etc can be telemetry event buffer on metron. if this possible, could you give me some suggestion how to do it ?
>
> On Tue, 17 Oct 2017 at 21.00 Nick Allen <ni...@nickallen.org> wrote:
>
> If you want to look at failed login attempts for each user over time, then the Profiler might be a good solution.  Your profile will depend on the fields available in your telemetry, but it would look something like this, as an example.
>
> {
>
> "profile": "failed-logins",
>
> "foreach": "user.name [1]",
>
> "onlyif": "source.type == 'activedirectory' and event.type == 'failed_login'"
>
> "init": { "count": 0 },
>
> "update": { "count" : "count + 1" },
>
> "result": "count"
>
> }
>
> You can find an introduction and more information on using the Profiler below.
> * https://github.com/apache/metron/tree/master/metron-analytics/metron-profiler
> * https://www.slideshare.net/secret/GFBf2RTXBG35PB
>
> Best of luck
>
> On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 4:51 AM, tkg_cangkul <yu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> for example,
>
> i wanna try to correlate between logs.
> how many times user A have login failed and how many times user A have login succeed. include detail IP, timestamp etc.
> is this possible to do with metron?
>
> On 17/10/17 02:56, James Sirota wrote:
> What specifically are you looking to correlate?  Can you talk a little more about your use case?
>
> 16.10.2017, 02:23, "tkg_cangkul" <yu...@gmail.com>:
> hi,
>
> anyone could explain me about event correlation using apache metron?
> does metron support event correlation?
>
> Pls Advice -------------------
> Thank you,
>
> James Sirota
> PMC- Apache Metron
> jsirota AT apache DOT org

Links:
------
[1] http://user.name

Re: event correlation on metron

Posted by Youzha <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nick Allen <ni...@nickallen.org>.

Posted by tkg_cangkul <yu...@gmail.com>.
for example,

Posted by James Sirota <js...@apache.org>.
What specifically are you looking to correlate?  Can you talk a little more about your use case?

16.10.2017, 02:23, "tkg_cangkul" <yu...@gmail.com>:
> hi,
>
> anyone could explain me about event correlation using apache metron?
> does metron support event correlation?
>
> Pls Advice

Thank you,

James Sirota