Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Markley, Aaron" <AM...@medcentral.org> on 2002/01/21 14:25:02 UTC

security/redirection

Hello all,

I have a working authorization scheme for my website, let's call it
http://site1.medcentral.org:11111, which first asks for username and
password (using the various "Auth" directives in the virtual host
definition), and then if valid will redirect to the site on our local
intranet that I want secured, http://999.9.9.999.  This whole scheme works
until someone types in the IP address directly; then there isn't any
authentication at all.  Is there a way to completely block access to
999.9.9.999 except from the redirection site?

Thanks,
Aaron

Re: security/redirection

Posted by Daniel Lopez <da...@rawbyte.com>.
Aaron,

You can rely on the REferer: header, but that is not secure as the client is
the one that provides it. You can try setting up a reverse proxy, forcing
all requests to pass thru site1.medcentral.org before reaching 9.9.9.9
Check http://www.webtechniques.com/archives/1998/05/engelschall/ for a
general introduction to reverse proxies
Check the mod_rewrite documentation for some examples on how to do that for
what you suggest.

Daniel