Posted to dev@shiro.apache.org by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com> on 2010/05/20 19:53:03 UTC

Re: Preparing for our first release

How about that, the release worked on the first try. Guess I've
learned a thing or two about releasing with Maven along the way. Props
to Maven folks for super clear yet concise instructions.

The staging repository is at
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheshiro-002/
The Maven site/documentation is at
http://incubator.apache.org/shiro/static/1.0.0-incubating. This is the
final location for the site.

Les, would you like to do the honors and send the official vote email
out? There's a sample template at
http://maven.apache.org/developers/release/apache-release.html. Since
it's our first release though maybe you want to add a bit more
description and maybe mention that since there were some last minute
package changes people should actually test the binaries before
voting, perhaps extend the voting time from minimum 72 hours.

Kalle

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 6:17 PM, Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org> wrote:
> Thanks for clarifying Craig.
> Is it common for this artifact to be auto-created during the build
> process?  Or do people simply do an SVN checkout and create a .zip
> manually?

Absolutely it's common. I think the whole remote-resources plugin was
created for that purpose.

> Kalle, what do you guys do on Tapestry and/or Tynamo?

Tapestry follows the standard Apache/Maven release process and at
Tynamo, we are lucky enough to do whatever we want :) Replying
out-of-order now, but Brian is right - except that we cannot drop the
-incubating from the version - it's dictated by the incubator rules
(there was an earlier thread on that).

Kalle

Posted by Brian Demers <br...@gmail.com>.
Found it, its in the ASF parent:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/pom/tags/apache-7/pom.xml

So it should just work.  The LICENSE, NOTICE, etc, are packed in the
META-INF, in the sources bundle (per module):
https://repository.apache.org/service/local/repositories/orgapacheshiro-004/archive/org/apache/shiro/shiro-core/1.0.0-incubating/shiro-core-1.0.0-incubating-sources.jar/!/META-INF/LICENSE

NOTE: the shiro-all, sources doesn't have any source, it just contains the
LICENSE, etc

On a side note, can we get the "incubating" dropped from the version?   This
might confuse people, as Shiro well deserves a clean 1.0.0 stamp!

Posted by Brian Demers <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gavin Hogan <GH...@commercehub.com>.
Hey Les

I thought maven does this pretty well via assembly -
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-assembly-plugin/

Have never had reason to use this, just thought I would point it out.

Good luck with the release....

Gavin

From:
Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>
To:
shiro-dev@incubator.apache.org
Date:
05/20/2010 09:20 PM
Subject:

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.
Ah

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 11:51 PM, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 21/05/2010, at 4:43 PM, Les Hazlewood wrote:
>
>> Mentors,
>>
>> Is there anything with an exact step-by-step guide for walking through
>> the release steps for maven-based projects?  Something like this:
>>
>> http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToRelease
>>
>> (but for Maven projects).  The Incubator Release guide is more
>> philosophical than practical: I'm looking for a 'do x, then y, then z'
>> with command line snippets to automate as much as possible.  Does
>> anyone know of anything like this?  It'd be much easier to 'just do
>> it' than try to interpret the Incubator guide.
>
> http://maven.apache.org/developers/release/apache-release.html
>
> It's not exhaustive on the requirements - I think it gets you as far as Kalle already has.
>
> As long as the source bundles were produced, then that should be fine. I think that's https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheshiro-004/org/apache/shiro/shiro-root/1.0.0-incubating/

Ah yes - it's late and I'm tired :/  My apologies for being dense -
thanks for opening my eyes :)

> However, I tend to agree with Craig that you should lay them out in a format like you would eventually copy into www.apache.org/dist/ as well so that it's clear.
>
> I didn't see a binary release (something for non-maven users) - is that just the shiro-all JAR?

I believe that is the intention at the moment.  We can make a little
more robust binary package for later releases, I'm sure.  I think
we're just trying to make it through this one first :)

Thanks for the pointers!

Les

Re: Preparing for our first release

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.
I even tried to integrate the Maven rat plugin, 0.6, but I couldn't
get it to work because the excludes (for readmes) didn't seem to take
effect -  but nevertheless, it didn't report much issues.

Kalle

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <ad...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.
Mentors,

Is there anything with an exact step-by-step guide for walking through
the release steps for maven-based projects?  Something like this:

http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToRelease

(but for Maven projects).  The Incubator Release guide is more
philosophical than practical: I'm looking for a 'do x, then y, then z'
with command line snippets to automate as much as possible.  Does
anyone know of anything like this?  It'd be much easier to 'just do
it' than try to interpret the Incubator guide.

- Les

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.
Hi Crag,

I wasn't thinking it would be part of the maven repo directly, but it
is nicely packaged up there:

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheshiro-004/org/apache/shiro/shiro-root/1.0.0-incubating/

You'll see the .zip and its signatures and checksums.

Cheers,

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Hi Les,

Posted by Tauren Mills <ta...@tauren.com>.
It looks like the maven artifacts to support the recent changes made
to the documentation (adding targetFilterLifecycle parameter to
DelegatingFilterProxy) have not been updated:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SHIRO/Spring

The latest snapshot available in the repository I'm using is 172, and
doesn't work if I make this change to my spring config (I get an
IllegalArgumentException):
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/shiro/shiro-core/1.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT/

I've been waiting for a new snapshot to appear, but it hasn't yet and
it's been several hours. Is this because snapshots are now going to
here instead?
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheshiro-004/

I guess I'm just wanting to know what repository I should be using, or
if that is still in flux.

Thanks,
Tauren

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.
Awesome!

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Les Hazlewood <le...@hazlewood.com>.

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
On May 20, 2010, at 12:06 PM, Kalle Korhonen wrote:

> On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 12:00 PM, Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Yeah, I can fix it rather quickly I think.  Can you do the rollback
>> while I fix it and write the test case? Also, I'm assuming I can add
>> the fix to trunk?
>
> Yeah, I'll rollback and drop the staged release. You can fix it in the
> trunk, but the fix needs to be merged to the shiro-root-0.0.x branch
> (hey you asked for it :)

FYI, since you just you two guys fiddling around with things at the moment, it's ok to trash the branch and tags.

But you are correct, normally you would merge the fix into the branch and trunk.

Regards,
Alan

Re: Preparing for our first release

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
On May 21, 2010, at 7:32 AM, Kalle Korhonen wrote:

> On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 6:41 AM, Alan D. Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com> wrote:
>> On May 20, 2010, at 10:53 AM, Kalle Korhonen wrote:
>> Looked at http://incubator.apache.org/shiro/static/1.0.0-incubating/team-list.html.
>> It should contain all the committers on the team.  Can we update this?
>
> Committers need to modify Shiro's root pom and add their info.

Fair enough.  Let's put out an announcement so that developers know that they need to do this.

Regards,
Alan

Re: Preparing for our first release

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.
Yeah, I just added that as a placeholder for when we 'got around to
it'.  In retrospect, I think I should remove it in the interim and
rely on the root POM listing developers to minimize the delay in
getting all things updated.  Is this ok?

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.