Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Robert Krüger <kr...@lesspain.de> on 2015/10/16 08:53:39 UTC

Efficiency of integer storage/use

Hi,

I have a data model where I would store and index a lot of integer values
with a very restricted range (e.g. 0-255), so theoretically the 32 bits of
Solr's integer fields are complete overkill. I want to be able to to things
like vector distance calculations on those fields. Should I worry about the
"wasted" bits or will Solr compress/organize the index in a way that
compensates for this if there are only 256 (or even fewer) distinct values?

Any recommendations on how my fields should be defined to make things like
numeric functions work as fast as technically possible?

Thanks in advance,

Robert

Re: Efficiency of integer storage/use

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.
What I'd say is that there are *substantial* optimisations done already
when indexing terms, especially numerical ones, e.g. looking for common
divisors. Look out for a talk by Adrien Grand at Berlin Buzzwords
earlier this year for a taste of it.

I don't know how much of this kind of optimisation has been done on doc
values. I suspect not much yet (e.g. when committing a set of integer
values into a new segment, look to see how big these values are and set
the number of bits in the array accordingly).

If you want to make these sorts of optimisations, I'd suggest looking at
how docvalues are coded on disk, and see if you can make changes that
would benefit all users across the board.

Upayavira

Posted by Robert Krüger <kr...@lesspain.de>.

--
Robert Krüger
Managing Partner

www.lesspain-software.com

Re: Efficiency of integer storage/use

Posted by Mikhail Khludnev <mk...@griddynamics.com>.
Robert,

--
Sincerely yours
Mikhail Khludnev

<http://www.griddynamics.com>
<mk...@griddynamics.com>

Re: Efficiency of integer storage/use

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@gmail.com>.
I'd still like to see a very clear statement of how data is stored in
Lucene. For example, is there any increase in index size if you placed your
32-bit integers in a long field? Could somebody make a clear statement
about what the index packing/compression would actually do - not the actual
algorithm, but the effect for a bunch of the common use cases.

-- Jack Krupansky

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robert Krüger <kr...@lesspain.de>.
Thanks for the feedback.

--
Robert Krüger
Managing Partner

www.lesspain-software.com

Re: Efficiency of integer storage/use

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alessandro Benedetti <ab...@apache.org>.
Hi Robert,
current Solr compression will work really well , both for Stored and
DocValues contents.
Related the index term dictionaries, I ask for some help to other experts
as I never checked how the actual compression works in there, but I assume
it is quite efficient.

Usually the field type affects performance both  for specific features and
functions, for example if you are interested in range queries on Integers,
you should try the trieInt implementation.

Let us know for more details !

Cheers

--

Benedetti Alessandro