Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Calvin Redding <vo...@yahoo.com> on 2002/01/07 04:51:11 UTC

simple question

I'm new to apache, and I have a simple question; where do I put the html
files I want instead of the default, for instance the index.html for the
root of my site?  I've looked through the docs and I didn't see clearly
where it was.

Thanks,
-Calvin

Re: simple question

Posted by "Jesse.linux" <jd...@inq7.net>.
i think u just have to edit your http.conf....
change the DocumentRoot directive to where u want to put the index.html
file....but make sure that directory exist.

RE: simple question

Posted by Mike Arrison <ar...@gnostech.com>.
By default the path is /usr/local/apache/htdocs
Look for the DocumentRoot directive in the httpd.conf file.

	-Mike Arrison

RE: simple question

Posted by Mike Arrison <ar...@gnostech.com>.
Hmm... looks alright to me.  I assume you restarted the server after this
config change?  Also, make sure you have an index.html in that directory.
Then if it still doesn't come up (404), then look at the error_log to see
what file it was trying to retrieve.

     -Mike Arrison
      arrison@gnostech.com
      Systems Engineer
      Gnostech, Inc.
      http://www.gnostech.com
      (215) 443-8660

Posted by "Jesse.linux" <jd...@inq7.net>.
u have this config...
<IfModule mod_dir.c>
    DirectoryIndex C:/apache/index.html
</IfModule>

try puting quotation marks

Posted by Owen Boyle <ob...@bourse.ch>.
Calvin Redding wrote:

> Ok guys, I've made progress; I changed the dir to c:/apache, and moved
> the appropriate files, but now I get a 403 Forbidden error when I try to
> access the server, and it says I don't have permission to access root.
> I'm not sure what I've done...lol  I attached an updated config file,
> thanks for your continued help...
> -Calvin

You have ServerRoot and DocumentRoot set to the same directory. Do you
understand the implications of this?

ServerRoot is the directory where apache is located. It should contain
subdirectories which, in turn, contain the httpd binary, the config
file, the log files etc. This is where the apache installation lives and
is not usually the place where you want to keep your HTML content. On
unix, this directory is owned by root and is quite special - you
wouldn't want users browsing around in it.

DocumentRoot is the place apache goes to to find your HTML content when
someone makes a request to your server. This can be anywhere on your
disk and doesn't need to be under the apache ServerRoot. Usually, this
is a normal user directory.

Because you are pointing DocumentRoot at ServerRoot (which should be
system directory) you may be getting an OS level access error (I'm not a
windows expert and I don't know what version you're using). You also
have to allow access to the DocumentRoot (you actually do this - sort
of...)

Something like:

ServerRoot   C:/apache
DocumentRoot C:/user/calvin/docs