Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com> on 2005/11/01 01:04:51 UTC

Re: Weekly conference call - thoughts

I'm a little surprised that this got shutdown so quickly. :) Whats the
harm in attempting one or two calls to see how they go? Now I'm not a
huge fan of conference calls either, but it very well may turn out to be
extremely effective.  Just because it wasn't a positive experience in
the past  doesn't mean that it won't be effective for this community :).

The Eclipse Web Tools project has weekly telecons open to anyone in the
community, and after discussing with a few of their attendees they
provided me with positive feedback.  Their primary use of it is to open
and follow up with action items for people and it was much easier to do
this on a call rather then a dev list.  The minutes of the meeting are
then posted on the dev list.

I personally think the more ways to communicate with the community, the
better.  So +1 from me for atleast trying it out once.

Thats my take :)

Sachin

Posted by Bill Stoddard <bi...@wstoddard.com>.
Jeff Genender wrote:
> I have to say I am opposed as well.  IMHO a telecon is not fair to those
> who live in places where the time is not convenient.  There are also
> folks who are contributors who may not be able to engage in a such a
> call because their jobs do not allow them to take part (rules using
> phones, job duties, etc).
>
> Although this may be an additional way to communicate with the
> community, many folks may not have the opportunity to participate, and I
> am not sure that it is community oriented.

Jeff, your right, conference calls are not community oriented, and that's the main problem, imho. Apache !=
Eclipse and you'll find most folks in the Apache community would agree.

ApacheCon is coming up in december; that's a great opportunity to host a f2f hack-a-thon. You'll get a little
bit done but build some very good working relationships going forward. Once you meet someone face to face,
it's a bit more difficult to forget there's a real person behind the keyboard and that tends to make on-list
interactions a bit more civil.

> With our lists, there is no
> barrier to engaging and contribution.
>
> Just my .02.

+1

> Jeff

Bill

Re: Weekly conference call - thoughts

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@savoirtech.com>.
I have to say I am opposed as well.  IMHO a telecon is not fair to those
who live in places where the time is not convenient.  There are also
folks who are contributors who may not be able to engage in a such a
call because their jobs do not allow them to take part (rules using
phones, job duties, etc).

Although this may be an additional way to communicate with the
community, many folks may not have the opportunity to participate, and I
am not sure that it is community oriented.  With our lists, there is no