Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Jay Vyas <ja...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/14 22:24:29 UTC

FileSystem.workingDir vs mapred.local.dir

Hi guys:  What is the relationship between the "working directory" in the
FileSystem class (filesystem.workingDir), compared with the
mapred.local.dir properties ?

It seems like these would essentially refer to the same thing?
--
Jay Vyas
http://jayunit100.blogspot.com

Re: FileSystem.workingDir vs mapred.local.dir

Posted by Jay Vyas <ja...@gmail.com>.
ah okay.  so - in default hadoop dfs, the workingDir is (i beleive)
/user/hadoop/ , because as i recall when putting a file into hdfs, that
seems to be where the files naturally end up if there is no path
specified.

Re: FileSystem.workingDir vs mapred.local.dir

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Jay,

For your FS question: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Working_directory

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 12:17 AM, Jay Vyas <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:

> what do you mean by "workingdir for a filesystem" ?  I never thought that
> a fileSystem should
> need or have a special workingDir ?
>

> On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 12:43 PM, Hemanth Yamijala <
> yhemanth@thoughtworks.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> AFAIK, the mapred.local.dir property refers to a set of directories under
>> which different types of data related to mapreduce jobs are stored - for
>> e.g. intermediate data, localized files for a job etc. The working
>> directory for a mapreduce job is configured under a sub directory within
>> one of the directories configured in this property.
>>
>> The workingDir property of the FileSystem class simply seems to indicate
>> the working directory for a given filesystem as set by applications.
>>
>> They don't seem very related per se, unless I am missing something ?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Hemanth
>>

>> On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 2:54 AM, Jay Vyas <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi guys:  What is the relationship between the "working directory" in
>>> the FileSystem class (filesystem.workingDir), compared with the
>>> mapred.local.dir properties ?
>>>
>>> It seems like these would essentially refer to the same thing?
>>> --
>>> Jay Vyas
>>> http://jayunit100.blogspot.com
>>>

> --
> Jay Vyas
> http://jayunit100.blogspot.com

--
Harsh J

Re: FileSystem.workingDir vs mapred.local.dir

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Jay,

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Jay,