Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Erik Hatcher <ja...@ehatchersolutions.com> on 2003/07/26 03:19:31 UTC

xdocs - link to wiki?

What are folks thoughts on this?

	http://weblogs.java.net/pub/wlg/274

So forget about folding examples into Ant's own documentation - let's
just link to the Jakarta wiki for them!

Although, what about offline documentation?  Good question - perhaps
have a process that generates static documentation by folding in what
is on the wiki at documentation build time?

	Erik

Re: xdocs - link to wiki?

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Jul 2003, Erik Hatcher <ja...@ehatchersolutions.com>
> wrote:
>

>>What are folks thoughts on this?
>>
>>	http://weblogs.java.net/pub/wlg/274
>

> I'd be very careful with pulling down examples for our tasks from a
> page that anybody can edit (mostly anonymously) and include it in our
> distribution as definitive reference information.
>
> I'm even hesitant to do it for online docs.
>
> Can I get the Wiki (whichever wiki) to send things like commit mails?

yes.

> I really do not want to browse dozens of pages (as we have dozens of
> tasks) every day to monitor them - and I certainly do not want to get
> mails for pages that do not contribute to the Ant manual, of course.

I quite like the idea of hooking off into some 'annotation space' from
every manual page, so that people can add and discuss entries. This
should be separate from the API itself for clarity. We effectively have
that in Java APIs with Sun's bug database(*), though hotlinks to bugs
related to api calls would be nice feature in the javadocs...

-steve

(*) though since they unified their logins my login there "slo" is
blocked as being too short...

Re: xdocs - link to wiki?

Posted by Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@antbuild.com>.
Posted by Erik Hatcher <ja...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Tuesday, July 29, 2003, at 10:26  AM, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> I'd be very careful with pulling down examples for our tasks from a
> page that anybody can edit (mostly anonymously) and include it in our
> distribution as definitive reference information.
>
> I'm even hesitant to do it for online docs.

Yeah, I understand the hesitation.  Although....

> Can I get the Wiki (whichever wiki) to send things like commit mails?

I just e-mailed Andy Oliver about whether we can get the nagoya wiki to
e-mail dev@ when the Ant or sub pages change.

There is an RSS feed, at least.  And certainly having an e-mail sent
when a page changes is an easy thing to implement - so hopefully that
kind of thing is already a feature of at least some wiki packages.

> I really do not want to browse dozens of pages (as we have dozens of
> tasks) every day to monitor them - and I certainly do not want to get
> mails for pages that do not contribute to the Ant manual, of course.

No, I would not advocate either of those.

	Erik

Re: xdocs - link to wiki?

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
wrote:

> What are folks thoughts on this?
>
> 	http://weblogs.java.net/pub/wlg/274

I'd be very careful with pulling down examples for our tasks from a
page that anybody can edit (mostly anonymously) and include it in our
distribution as definitive reference information.

I'm even hesitant to do it for online docs.

Can I get the Wiki (whichever wiki) to send things like commit mails?
I really do not want to browse dozens of pages (as we have dozens of
tasks) every day to monitor them - and I certainly do not want to get
mails for pages that do not contribute to the Ant manual, of course.

Stefan