Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Harry Putnam <re...@newsguy.com> on 2005/11/15 20:25:30 UTC

Fast version control while work proceeds

I'm not knowledgeable about subversion or even much about cvs so this
question may be phrased sort of ... oddly:

Can subversion do this for me:

I want something to run in the background and keep tabs on a directory
tree or designated directories while I program or in other ways edit
files, edit images move stuff around within target etc etc.  This
something needs to run every little while like maybe 1 minute
intervals and backup any files it finds changed to a sort of mirror of
the work area.

Not a real mirror in that the destination mirror would contain all
versions of any files that had been changed during the session.

Rsync can do something like this but doesn't provide any built in
mechanism to examine the versions with diffing or the like.

RE: Fast version control while work proceeds

Posted by Gavin Lambert <ga...@compacsort.com>.
Quoth Ryan Schmidt <ma...@ryandesign.com>:
> Subversion is not designed for that scenario. It's designed to help
> you with this workflow:
>
> 1. Start with an up-to-date working copy of (a part of) your
> repository.
> 2. Edit the working copy to fix a bug or implement a feature.
> 3. Commit the changes.
> 4. Update the working copy to receive changes from other developers.
> 5. Goto 2.

Minor quibble: 3 & 4 are usually the other way around.  Unless you're
working in a private branch.

Re: Fast version control while work proceeds

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Nov 15, 2005, at 21:25, Harry Putnam wrote:

> I'm not knowledgeable about subversion or even much about cvs so this
> question may be phrased sort of ... oddly:
>
> Can subversion do this for me:
>
> I want something to run in the background and keep tabs on a directory
> tree or designated directories while I program or in other ways edit
> files, edit images move stuff around within target etc etc.  This
> something needs to run every little while like maybe 1 minute
> intervals and backup any files it finds changed to a sort of mirror of
> the work area.
>
> Not a real mirror in that the destination mirror would contain all
> versions of any files that had been changed during the session.
>
> Rsync can do something like this but doesn't provide any built in
> mechanism to examine the versions with diffing or the like.

Subversion is not designed for that scenario. It's designed to help
you with this workflow:

1. Start with an up-to-date working copy of (a part of) your repository.
2. Edit the working copy to fix a bug or implement a feature.
3. Commit the changes.
4. Update the working copy to receive changes from other developers.
5. Goto 2.

Every time you commit to the repository, that point in time is
recorded and can be retrieved later if desired. I think people
usually commit only things that work, not every intermediate phase of
half-completed development, but that's left up to you and your other
developers to decide.