Posted to dev@trafficcontrol.apache.org by "Hoppal, Michael" <Mi...@comcast.com> on 2019/11/13 17:13:00 UTC

Re: [EXTERNAL] Component leads

I think this is a GREAT idea!

I would very much be +1 on it.

I would add that the open source component leads would be voted on by the community and only hold the position on a defined period of time.

On 11/13/19, 9:58 AM, "Jeremy Mitchell" <mi...@apache.org> wrote:

    I would like to propose the idea of open source component leads for TP, TO,
    TR, TM and TS. I think having a component lead would help with the
    following:

    - Help the release manager compile comprehensive release notes for that
    component
    - Help the release manager determine release scope related to that
    component (what to not cherry pick to a release)
    - Release candidate testing/validation for that component
    - Manage issues related to that component (i.e. apply labels (component,
    type and severity)) and close old/irrelevant issues.
    - Develop a first pass roadmap (maybe a roadmap.md file at the root of the
    component?) for that component and potentially create milestones and
    facilitate discussion around the roadmap/milestones.
    - Clean up old PRs for that component
    - Drive standards for that component

    IMO these component leads would probably need the following qualifications:

    - someone that works with the component on a day-to-day basis and is
    obviously very experienced with the component.
    - is a committer so they can do things like apply labels, create
    milestones, merge PRs, etc.

    Ideally these component leads would represent different companies, however,
    maybe that is a goal and not a requirement at the moment.

    I bring this up because I think having component leads would help the
    quality, organization and transparency of the TC project as a whole and
    would provide potential contributors with a better vision of where TC is
    headed.

    Thoughts?

    Jeremy