Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by JIEFU GONG <jg...@berkeley.edu> on 2015/07/25 01:12:26 UTC

Log Deletion Behavior

Hi all,

I have a few broad questions on how log deletion works, specifically in
conjunction with the log.retention.time setting. Say I published some
messages to some topics when the configuration was originally set to
something like log.retention.hours=168 (default). If I publish these
messages successfully, then later set the configuration to something like
log.retention.minutes=1, are those logs supposed to persist for the newest
settings or the old settings? Right now my logs are refusing to delete
themselves unless I specifically mark them for deletion -- is this the
correct/anticipated/wanted behavior?

Thanks for the help!

--

Jiefu Gong
University of California, Berkeley | Class of 2017

jgong@berkeley.edu <el...@berkeley.edu> | (925) 400-3427

Re: Log Deletion Behavior

Posted by JIEFU GONG <jg...@berkeley.edu>.
Okay, I will look into only using the hours setting, but I think that means
the minimum a log can be stored is 1 hour right? I think last time I tried
there Kafka failed to parse decimals.
ᐧ

On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 6:47 PM, Mayuresh Gharat <gharatmayuresh15@gmail.com

Re: Log Deletion Behavior

Posted by Grant Henke <gh...@cloudera.com>.
Also this stackoverflow answer may help: http://stackoverflow.com/a/29672325

Re: Log Deletion Behavior

Posted by Grant Henke <gh...@cloudera.com>.

On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 9:14 PM, Mayuresh Gharat <gharatmayuresh15@gmail.com

Re: Log Deletion Behavior

Posted by Mayuresh Gharat <gh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jiefu,

The topic will stay forever. You can do delete topic operation to get rid
of the topic.

Thanks,

Mayuresh

Re: Log Deletion Behavior