Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org> on 2005/05/18 06:40:21 UTC

[arch] VM Candidate : JikesRVM http://jikesrvm.sourceforge.net/

We've been talking about two threads of discussion, one working with
a C/C++ based VM, one w/ Java.

Here's a Java one for discussion (just want to focus threads...)

geir

geirm@apache.org

Re: [arch] VM Candidate : JikesRVM http://jikesrvm.sourceforge.net/

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Santiago Gala wrote:
> El vie, 20-05-2005 a las 11:26 +0900, shudo@computer.org escribió:
> (...)
>
>>Of course, such a runtime will have
>>another interpreter or a baseline compiler (written in C/C++?) and
>>Java-written JIT can be debugged exhaustively. But such a reflective
>>nature certainly makee debugging harder.
>

> Even if this is true (and I don't buy it completely), there is a very
> beneficial side-effect: the basic VM core, MM/GC, verifier and JIT make
> exceptionally good test cases for themselves, which would greatly reduce
> the possibility of bugs or memory leaks when the releases arrive to the
> users. At least in the basic data structure and bytecode
> interpretation/compilation parts. And specially so if the bootstrapping
> is done in a few machine architectures before releasing. Also as a side
> effect, performance tuning of the VM will be something intrinsic, as
> slowness will be noticed fast.

Given a halfway decent set of regression tests, these benefits are
pretty marginal.

Re: [arch] VM Candidate : JikesRVM http://jikesrvm.sourceforge.net/

Posted by Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>.
El vie, 20-05-2005 a las 11:26 +0900, shudo@computer.org escribió:
(...)
> Of course, such a runtime will have
> another interpreter or a baseline compiler (written in C/C++?) and
> Java-written JIT can be debugged exhaustively. But such a reflective
> nature certainly makee debugging harder.

Even if this is true (and I don't buy it completely), there is a very
beneficial side-effect: the basic VM core, MM/GC, verifier and JIT make
exceptionally good test cases for themselves, which would greatly reduce
the possibility of bugs or memory leaks when the releases arrive to the
users. At least in the basic data structure and bytecode
interpretation/compilation parts. And specially so if the bootstrapping
is done in a few machine architectures before releasing. Also as a side
effect, performance tuning of the VM will be something intrinsic, as
slowness will be noticed fast.

Regards
--
Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>
High Sierra Technology, SLU

Re: [arch] VM Candidate : JikesRVM http://jikesrvm.sourceforge.net/

Posted by Steve Blackburn <St...@anu.edu.au>.
shudo@computer.org wrote:

>Part of a runtime written in Java has to be interpreted, or compiled
>before executed. Throughput is sacrificed when interpreted and
>interactivity is sacrificed when compiled.

The runtime itself can't realistically be interpreted because it would
just be too slow.  So it is normally compiled.  However, the compilation
of the core VM (as for the VM written in C) occurs ahead of time (using
its own JIT and persisting the JITed image, which is the binary users
execute).  Running an application does not require compilation of the
VM.  So using Java need not be a cause for reduced interactivity.  Of
course a JITed VM (writen in Java or C) will always have the challenge
of avoiding reduced interactivty due to the jitting of user code.

--Steve

Re: [arch] VM Candidate : JikesRVM http://jikesrvm.sourceforge.net/

Posted by Rodrigo Kumpera <ku...@gmail.com>.
I think jikesrvm can be executed from another JVM, this should make
debugging easy.

Posted by sh...@computer.org.

Posted by Steve Blackburn <St...@anu.edu.au>.
acoliver@apache.org wrote:

> The problem of Java written JVM/JIT isn't one of performance.  You can
> theoretically achieve the same performance (although I'm not 100%
> convinced, I'm partially there) especially if you're willing to
> "extend" Java for the purpose of writing Java.
>
> That being said...doing so in a portable and platform independent way
> is actually HARDER in Java than in C (and by C I mean
> C/C++/Objective-C...whatever).  Read the Sable paper...  you'll see
> what I mean :-)

I don't see how it follows.  The Sable paper is a PhD thesis describing
the design of Sable VM, which is written in C and is portable.  What
does that say about the relative difficulty of doing it in Java?

Further, it is important to differentiate architectural portability from
OS portability.

OS portability in a VM like Jikes RVM is very easy since there is a very
well defined narrow interface to the OS, written in C.

Architectural portability is a different issue altogether.  If your VM
has a JIT, then you will need a new back end (regardless of whether the
JIT is written in C or Java).

--Steve

Re: [arch] VM Candidate : JikesRVM http://jikesrvm.sourceforge.net/

Posted by Mark Brooks <jm...@hotmail.com>.
>That being said...doing so in a portable and platform independent way is
>actually HARDER in Java than in C (and by C I mean
>C/C++/Objective-C...whatever).  Read the Sable paper...  you'll see what I
>mean :-)
>
>-Andy

I'll certainly read the paper, but I find it difficult to believe that it is
harder to implement portability with Java than with C++, given the latter's
notorious "holes" in the spec that produce incompatibilities between
different compilers and libraries using the same code.

Re: [arch] VM Candidate : JikesRVM http://jikesrvm.sourceforge.net/

Posted by ac...@apache.org.
> Andy is right:

Wow!

> This is why I would like Harmony to have two VMs, one written in java
> and one written in C-or-friends: this would give us
>
>  1) the goal of making things modular enough to allow to swap things
> around and allow parallel development
>
>  2) create some internal (and friendly!) competition on speed and
> compliance :-)
>
>  3) attract two different pools of talents
>
>  4) allow compensation (easier to experiment in java than in C, harder
> to port java than C)
>
> Thoughts?

Yes.

--
Andrew C. Oliver
SuperLink Software, Inc.

Java to Excel using POI

Re: [arch] VM Candidate : JikesRVM http://jikesrvm.sourceforge.net/

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Weldon Washburn wrote:
> On 5/19/05, Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> wrote:
>

>>This is why I would like Harmony to have two VMs, one written in java
>>and one written in C-or-friends: this would give us
>

> Well, I suspect if we design the interfaces correctly, we could do the
> above with one JVM instead of two.   Two competing Harmony
> implementations means ultimately one of them must die.  Harmony really
> needs one quickly evolvable code base.

I'm not sure I believe that - it seems entirely plausible to me that
versions with different targets can happily coexist. This is
particularly true if we succeed with the modularity aim - look at httpd
- there are several different ways to do any particular thing, and with
good reason. Obviously there is some immutable core, but that's
relatively small.

>  The concept is to write the
> JVM in 100% C/C++ today.   Rationale:  C/C++ is battle tested for
> building OS and compiler systems.  Set a goal of rewritting the JIT in
> Java/C# by 2007.  If IT shops are happy deploying Harmony with the JIT
> written in Java, then set a goal of rewriting 90% of the VM in Java/C#
> by 2009.

You'd still need the bootstrapping non-Java VM for this, wouldn't you?

>> 1) the goal of making things modular enough to allow to swap things
>>around and allow parallel development
>
> Yes!  Although it will be more challenging to create interfaces that
> will work for both Java and C/C++, I suspect the end result will be
> worthwhile.

Geir and I have been discussing this, I think we should try to put
together a more concrete proposal.

Cheers,

Ben.

Re: [arch] VM Candidate : JikesRVM http://jikesrvm.sourceforge.net/

Posted by Weldon Washburn <we...@gmail.com>.
On 5/20/05, Steve Blackburn <St...@anu.edu.au> wrote:
> I envisage that harmony is *seeded* with two VMs.  Under the "seeding"
> model both seeds are destined to die (that is, their *cores* die) once
> new core/s evolve.  I view this as a good thing.

Given a world with three different Harmony VMs, I probably only have
time to work on the one that will survive.

Re: CLASSPATH Licensing Issues (Was "Re: hi")

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On May 22, 2005, at 3:17 PM, Dana P'Simer wrote:

> On Fri, 2005-05-20 at 17:30 +0100, Ben Laurie wrote:
>
>> crispyalien wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, I am new here but I already have a stupid question ... :) ...Wil
>>> harmony use CLASPATH project or not?
>>>

>> Almost certainly. Read the archives.
>>

> Hi, I am new here as well.  I have noticed that there seems to be a
> consensous that CLASSPATH is the way to go for the java(x).* classes.

GNU Classpath is our only option right now, and we're going to do
what we can to use it, yes.

> CLASSPATH is licensed under GPL with a special exception allowing
> linking to independent modules to produce an executable.  Lets call
> this
> GPL-.  It sounds alot like LGPL but that is not what the website says.
> How can Harmony use CLASSPATH if it will be licensed under the Apache
> License?  Three possible solutions come to mind:
>
>      1. Since it is GPL, Harmony could just depend on it.

Um, well, no :)

Don't forget that nasty viral stuff in the GPL :)

>      2. Harmony forks it and leaves it as GPL+.

I don't know what "GPL+" means, but Harmony will not be forking GNU
Classpath.  If anything, we'll ensure that donations we get related
to that area are usable by GNU Classpath if they want to.  We're here
to work together as we can.  We may not solve the license problem,
but that isn't why we're here.

>      3. Harmony forks it and relicense it to Apache License.

Impossible.

a) Harmony won't fork GNU Classpath
b) You can't relicense code like that.

> Option 1 seems good but would not allow harmony to get changes
> specific
> to it's goals.  Option 2 has the same licensing problems as option
> 2 but
> would allow harmony to make changes specific to it's goals.  Also
> Options 1 & 2 suffer from another stumbling block: some developers,
> particularly corperate sponsored developers, might not want to
> contribute to an LGPL'd product.  Option 3 does not seem possible
> since
> that would require all contributors to the CLASSPATH project to agree.
>
> None of these solutions is optimal.  Another option might be to start
> with CLASSPATH as a base and develop a replacement library under the
> Apache License, a project I would be happy to contribute to.

For now, we are going to be working with GNU Classpath, and if I have
my way ;) it will be through an agreed-upon interface that isn't GPL-
ed so that GNU Classpath will just be a drop-in class library for us.

In parallel, we are working on resolving the licensing issues, but
really trying to keep this from holding back technology collaboration.

Thanks

geir

geirm@apache.org

CLASSPATH Licensing Issues (Was "Re: hi")

Posted by Dana P'Simer <da...@dhptech.com>.
On Fri, 2005-05-20 at 17:30 +0100, Ben Laurie wrote:
> crispyalien wrote:
> > Hi, I am new here but I already have a stupid question ... :) ...Wil
> > harmony use CLASPATH project or not?
>
> Almost certainly. Read the archives.

Hi, I am new here as well.  I have noticed that there seems to be a
consensous that CLASSPATH is the way to go for the java(x).* classes.
CLASSPATH is licensed under GPL with a special exception allowing
linking to independent modules to produce an executable.  Lets call this
GPL-.  It sounds alot like LGPL but that is not what the website says.
How can Harmony use CLASSPATH if it will be licensed under the Apache
License?  Three possible solutions come to mind:

     1. Since it is GPL, Harmony could just depend on it.
     2. Harmony forks it and leaves it as GPL+.
     3. Harmony forks it and relicense it to Apache License.

Option 1 seems good but would not allow harmony to get changes specific
to it's goals.  Option 2 has the same licensing problems as option 2 but
would allow harmony to make changes specific to it's goals.  Also
Options 1 & 2 suffer from another stumbling block: some developers,
particularly corperate sponsored developers, might not want to
contribute to an LGPL'd product.  Option 3 does not seem possible since
that would require all contributors to the CLASSPATH project to agree.

None of these solutions is optimal.  Another option might be to start
with CLASSPATH as a base and develop a replacement library under the
Apache License, a project I would be happy to contribute to.

Thanks,

Dana H. P'Simer, Jr.

Re: hi

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
crispyalien wrote:
> Hi, I am new here but I already have a stupid question ... :) ...Wil
> harmony use CLASPATH project or not?

Almost certainly. Read the archives.

> What OSes should be targeted at first? BeOS one of them?

The targetted OSes will be entirely decided by those who write code. If
you want to make BeOS work, I'm sure we won't stand in your way.

hi

Posted by crispyalien <cr...@gmail.com>.
Hi, I am new here but I already have a stupid question ... :) ...Wil
harmony use CLASPATH project or not? What OSes should be targeted at
first? BeOS one of them?

best regards,
 Valentin

Re: [arch] VM Candidate : JikesRVM http://jikesrvm.sourceforge.net/

Posted by Craig Blake <cr...@mac.com>.
Symbolic +1

Sounds like the way to go.

Craig

Posted by Steve Blackburn <St...@anu.edu.au>.

Posted by Weldon Washburn <we...@gmail.com>.
On 5/19/05, Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> wrote:

> This is why I would like Harmony to have two VMs, one written in java
> and one written in C-or-friends: this would give us

Well, I suspect if we design the interfaces correctly, we could do the
above with one JVM instead of two.   Two competing Harmony
implementations means ultimately one of them must die.  Harmony really
needs one quickly evolvable code base.  The concept is to write the
JVM in 100% C/C++ today.   Rationale:  C/C++ is battle tested for
building OS and compiler systems.  Set a goal of rewritting the JIT in
Java/C# by 2007.  If IT shops are happy deploying Harmony with the JIT
written in Java, then set a goal of rewriting 90% of the VM in Java/C#
by 2009.

>  1) the goal of making things modular enough to allow to swap things
> around and allow parallel development
Yes!  Although it will be more challenging to create interfaces that
will work for both Java and C/C++, I suspect the end result will be
worthwhile.

>  2) create some internal (and friendly!) competition on speed and
> compliance :-)
Good idea.

>  3) attract two different pools of talents
Modularization allows specialization.  Specialization fosters faster
evolution.  Harmony is an opportunity to build an infrastructure that
can outrun the existing monolithic JVM code bases.  You don't need to
know the entire system to work on a given module.  A short list of JVM

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On May 19, 2005, at 9:29 AM, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

>> Why should it be so? I guess the platform dependent code emission
>> code is
>> err ... not platform independent anyway. Also, if the reference
>> platform is
>> for instance LLVM, or some other, off the shelf, low-level
>> intermediate
>> representation, then there is no more platform dependence to take
>> care of at
>> the JVM level (I suppose)...
>>

> Andy is right: "writing in Java" *above* the JVM interface means
> you are
> creating bytecode and all the portability efforts were taken care for
> you by the JVM makers. "writing in Java" *below* the JVM interface
> means
> that you have to do, at some point, some native code transformations
> yourselfs, for every single different CPU architecture.
>
> Writing a JVM in a compilable higher language means that the compiler
> will do all that for you.
>
> So, interestingly enough, writing a JVM in java could allow java
> developers to work on it more easily (java programmers tend to be
> allergic to C and friends), but would require a lot more work,
> portability wise.

I think that's a function of whether or not you ever worked in C and C
++.  I spent a lot of time with C and C++ and have no problem using
it when required, although it hasn't been required in what I do for a
long time.

> It's also true that this kind of portability is perfectly
> parallelizable
> and it's CPU-dependent, not OS-dependent (well, really it's
> (CPU,OS)-dependent, but the two are almost orthogonal axis) and there
> are not so many CPU architectures remaining out there in the server
> market.
>
> This might hit us on the mobile/embedded market, though and hit us
> pretty hard.
>
> This is why I would like Harmony to have two VMs, one written in java
> and one written in C-or-friends: this would give us
>
>  1) the goal of making things modular enough to allow to swap things
> around and allow parallel development
>
>  2) create some internal (and friendly!) competition on speed and
> compliance :-)
>
>  3) attract two different pools of talents
>
>  4) allow compensation (easier to experiment in java than in C, harder
> to port java than C)
>
> Thoughts?

I'm certainly open to having two, but don't think that it should be
in any way a goal.  If there's interest, and people work on it, I
think that's great - it's good for portability testing.  I'd ask that
we require working together on the modularity.

I know that in the past, that Jikes was able to clean some production
VMs in microbenchmarks, but as I understand it, there's now a large
performance gap.  One of our goals is equivalent performance.

geir

Posted by Ahmed Saad <my...@gmail.com>.
hi all.. you know i think we all should work to bring the spirit of harmoney
to the open source movement in general... for example as a web developer i
read about a new php mvc-based framework every couple of days with really
nothing new to introduce to the scene.... so if all *similiar* open source
projects *harmonized* their efforts... i think we will be in a more
productive/innovative open source world... nevertheless, projects with
different philosophies about the same thing should just remain separate
trying to compete with each other....sorry for my off subject

Posted by Gary Affonso <gl...@greywether.com>.
On 5/20/05 12:20 PM, "crispyalien" <cr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, I just wanted to say that a free opensource VM with do a lot of
> harmonyzation in Java world.

I agree that it will be of great benefit.  It's why I'm on this list, after
all.

I guess my point, though, is that this project doesn't "disharmonize" the
aspects of the Java world that (at least from where I sit) get the most
press.

> This is more or les the missing pice.

Yup, for a complete end-to-end OpenSource Java solution, it is the missing
piece.  But the project isn't call "Missing Piece" it's called "Harmony" and
that's going to cause some confusion.

Just saying people shouldn't be surprised when questions like...

  "will Harmony fix the <insert favorite Java disharmony>"?

...get asked.

> There
> are some free java VMs but they will never be used in critical by the
> companys to run there applications if it won't be backed-up by a big
> (and well known for it's qality) company/fundation. I think Appache
> fundation cand be that sponsor. I also believe that Harmony should only
> be about VM+classpath.

Me too.  I'm *not* advocating for a change of scope.  Harmony is what it is:
a project to create a standards compliant, OpenSource, Java compiler, JVM, a
class library.  (If one wanted to blaspheme, one might be inclined to point
out that it's essentially the Java equivalent of Mono in terms of scope and
goals.)

Just pointing out that the project's name "Harmony" isn't particularly good
at indicating what that scope is.  Indeed, it can be a bit misleading when
considering the other, high-visibility, areas within Java where "disharmony"
exists.

- Gary

Re: [arch] VM Candidate : JikesRVM http://jikesrvm.sourceforge.net/

Posted by crispyalien <cr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Renaud BECHADE <re...@numerix.com>.

>If nothing else, I'd suggest this be in a FAQ somewhere so that it's clear
>that "Harmony" intends to address just a small subset of the java world,
not
>even the one that gets the most "acrimony" in the press and on blogs.

Including a good report on how well these work with the VM /NOW/.
(conceptually everything should work, but practically...)

Posted by Gary Affonso <gl...@greywether.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On May 23, 2005, at 9:48 PM, Rodrigo Kumpera wrote:

> A good way to define milestones that are perceptible by the general
> public
> are FOSS that runs fine on Harmony. Something like a Geronimo or
> Eclipse
> milestones.

heh - what would say those are?

Posted by Rodrigo Kumpera <ku...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Renaud BECHADE <re...@numerix.com>.
>> >I don't understand this argument.  If our J2SE implementation is
>> >feature-comparable to the one from Sun, IBM or BEA, why would we
>> need
>> >to add Eclipse onto it?
>>
>> As a demonstrator: "just test it" [TM].

>Then test it!  We don't have to distribute it too :)

Well, the point is to /convince/ less passionate people. I have seen enough
freeware/opensource sites that shave a zero cost tomorrow, but which soft as
of today is not up to what is said should work (mind you, I am bearded, and
I never shaved in 10 years). Having just one or two bundles to begin to
"just play with it" (with some screenshots) IMHO is really the simplest way
to convince people of practical usability.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by Renaud BECHADE <re...@numerix.com>.
By this I mean sort of "stripped down to its maximum demo Eclipse" (usable
for small projects, but without all those fancy plugins). This is not really
redistributing but rather "pamphleting"...

RB

Posted by Renaud BECHADE <re...@numerix.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by Renaud BECHADE <re...@numerix.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by Renaud BECHADE <re...@numerix.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by Renaud BECHADE <re...@numerix.com>.
>This is why I would like Harmony to have two VMs, one written in java
>and one written in C-or-friends: this would give us
>
> 1) the goal of making things modular enough to allow to swap things
>around and allow parallel development
>
> 2) create some internal (and friendly!) competition on speed and
>compliance :-)
>
> 3) attract two different pools of talents
>
> 4) allow compensation (easier to experiment in java than in C, harder
>to port java than C)
>
>Thoughts?

Having a plugin-based JVM based on a VM that already works (or even /ANY/
JVM if we suppose we do enough bytecode engineering[1] and limit ourselves
to minimum assertions on the runtime - say we only use JNI & Java debugger
interface & reflection to link bytecode with JIT generated code) could do
that, with the added benefit we have a working system NOW (including the
libraries for java 5, that are quite a big bunch of work in themselves, and
the packaging effort). I think this is compatible with the use of an LLVM
based solution too (for instance llvi calls gcj or another VM with the
adequate function pointers so that gcj can in turn call the LLVM-based VM
plugin.

s/gcj/other vm/. My point is that gcj is working everywhere, really, even
obscure chips, and can potentially execute java5 bytecode (with the adequate
java 5 bytecode -> java normal bytecode + additional meta information in
some format if required), NOW.

That makes 2 VMs, one in C/C++ (bootstrap VM, a hacked version of an
existing one) and one in java (the JIT plugin), and also a common runtime to
develop (which in itself is resource-greedy)

Another point that is unrelated, but what about the "packaging" of the VM?
Do we plan to release it with say Eclipse + Server (JSF + IDE + object DB or
O/R mapping + HSQL DB)? (IMHO this is good way to legitimate it)

[1] ex: the AOP techniques used in JAC enable transparent distributed
deployment, such as for instance A calls B on machine x but in fact B is
working on machine y (and except from the AOP system, x has a jar of A+B, or
an empty shell of B, where a calls B the "usual way")

[Renaud BECHADE] RB

Re: [arch] VM Candidate : JikesRVM http://jikesrvm.sourceforge.net/

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Renaud BECHADE <re...@numerix.com>.

--
Andrew C. Oliver
SuperLink Software, Inc.

Java to Excel using POI

--
Andrew C. Oliver
SuperLink Software, Inc.

Java to Excel using POI

Re: [arch] VM Candidate : JikesRVM http://jikesrvm.sourceforge.net/

Posted by usman bashir <gr...@gmail.com>.
Yeah! i was thinking over the same lines while reading last night the
impatients! and what the other communtities is looking towards us, they
surelly wana see us to get some thing innovative rather then just a wrapper
over the oldies, ( sorry guys its not just critic plz forgive me if some
minds) , so i think we should came out some thing that is innovative , we
dont lack the skills and as the time went on , we will have more active
participation of the people from the community.
 but there is another prospect as well , while keeping a design and other
issues aside we can also dig into the holes to get some thing out of it from
the current availaibities. (as we dont want to loose and discard what the
people already had done it) so the best possible scenario will be like this
 start now with some thing avialable and put the things in such a way that
as time went on , we can replace the modules with our own inventions ( ;) )
and this modulairty is what i m crying for now, we should not forget this as
for me i m looking it positively from harmony.
 so what u think going parrallel in both ways could help us , is not ?
 and yeah along wiht it many many ideas are coming and i will raise a point
as well (we should keep a list of these wishlist together and also allow the
guys to work over it ) and later on we can add those wishies into our final
releases.
 so for me i m not looking the first release i m also looking for the future
releases of harmony

--
Usman Bashir
Certified IBM XML Solution Developer

Re: [arch] VM Candidate : JikesRVM http://jikesrvm.sourceforge.net/

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ozgur Akan <ak...@aiqa.com>.
I don`t agree you Mladen;

If we are going to extend an existing JVM then we have to use the same
language with that JVM. When talking about Jikes our only option is to
use Java and I am not sure a JVM written with Java can be at production
quality. If Harmony will only be an experiment

Actually Jikes uses it`s own VM and has a part written in C. This makes
things a little bit different.

If we are talking about the architecture of Jikes, like how it
implemented GC etc., then yes it is not time to speak about performance.

Maybe I misunderstood Geir`s e-mail.

thanks,
Ozgur Akan

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> On May 18, 2005, at 2:18 AM, Ozgur Akan wrote:
>
>> I think everyone shall read this first http://
>> jikesrvm.sourceforge.net/info/overview.shtml . If performance will
>> not be a problem then the product based on Jikes can be an
>> alternative to Sun`s JVM.
>

> Can we put the performance question to rest once and for all?

The rules of programming are transitory; only Tao is eternal.
Therefore you must contemplate Tao before you receive enlightenment.
But how will I know when I have received enlightenment? asked
the novice.
Your program will then run correctly, replied the master.

So I agree wit Geir, for an enlightenment, the first rule is to
run it correctly. Speaking on performance before a single line
of code in not Tao!

Regards,
Mladen.

Re: [arch] VM Candidate : JikesRVM http://jikesrvm.sourceforge.net/