Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by asookazian2 <as...@gmail.com> on 2015/01/08 01:12:47 UTC

bundle corruption with felix and karaf 3.0.2

Karaf 3.0.2

we are seeing intermittent hanging on halt (shutdown) of karaf.  we then use
'kill -9' on karaf java process.  then, sometimes after a restart, we are
seeing some bundles (typically the last n bundles) in 'installed' state.  I
believe I saw on this forum JB commented the root cause of this is a felix
bug.  Any details on this JIRA, etc. and when it may be fixed?  Has anybody
else seen this behavior?

In the log we are seeing:

20150107 15:38:22.613 [WARN ] ActiveMQ Task-3 |
147:org.apache.activemq.activemq-osgi |
org.apache.activemq.transport.failover.FailoverTransport | Failed to connect
to [tcp://localhost:61616] after: 10 attempt(s) continuing to retry.

Also, i noticed today that I could not 'uninstall <bundleId>' for these
corrupted bundles.  Should we just delete them manually from
kara/data/cache/<bundleId> directory and restart karaf?  thx for any help.

btw, we tried switching to equinox but we had other issues with that so back
with felix for now.

Re: bundle corruption with felix and karaf 3.0.2

Posted by Kevin Carr <ks...@gmail.com>.
I have seen this as well. If you try to do anything with the bundle it says
No Bundle message.

For us, it only happens if the process is killed as well.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

I narrowed the issue (related to region digraph persistence). I
implemented a quick fix, but I'm not sure that it will cover all use cases.
If you can make a try, it would be great.

Thanks,
Regards
JB

On 10/07/2015 09:06 PM, asookazian2 wrote:
> Hi is this bundle corruption problem fixed in karaf 3.0.5?  thx.

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: bundle corruption with felix and karaf 3.0.2

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
It's actually the same issue.

Regards
JB

On 10/07/2015 09:11 PM, asookazian2 wrote:
> Also, we were seeing bundle corruption when terminating java process for
> Karaf 3.0.x (e.g. kill -9 or OS crashes).  Is this fixed as well or is there
> a workaround?

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: bundle corruption with felix and karaf 3.0.2

Posted by asookazian2 <as...@gmail.com>.

Posted by asookazian2 <as...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kevin Schmidt <kt...@gmail.com>.
JB,

Both are commented out and from what is commented out, I assume the default
is true in both cases?  Although there is a comment that in 2.x the
start-up one was false?  We are using 3.0.2 though.

Kevin

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Kevin,

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: bundle corruption with felix and karaf 3.0.2

Posted by Kevin Schmidt <kt...@gmail.com>.
JB,

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

The preemptive shutdown is specially written to avoid problems when a
bean from a bundle being shut down will wait for 5 minutes for a
dependency which will never come up. This is done by looking at the
service dependencies and shutting down the blueprint bundles containers
that have no exported services in use and iterating ...

So, with true, the "regular" shutdown is faster (as we don't wait 5
minutes).

I don't thin the bundle cache corruption is related to this as it's more
at framework level.

However, as I said, I will investigate the issue.

Regards
JB

On 01/09/2015 12:21 AM, asookazian2 wrote:
> Please answer the question below regarding usage of
> org.apache.aries.blueprint.preemptiveShutdown=false.  any repercussions of
> doing this?
>
> Also, is there any documentation on this and any other system properties
> that are "hidden"?  Perhaps this one should be explicitly set to true/false
> by default in the system.properties file?
>

> schmke wrote
>> One case I've seen, this issue occurs when ActiveMQ is being used and gets
>> shutdown as part of the Blueprint shutdown that doesn't seem to follow the
>> reverse start-level shutdown.  Then AMQ clients that aren't using
>> Blueprint
>> have issues as they are trying to reconnect and don't shutdown.
>>
>> I found that there is a setting,
>> org.apache.aries.blueprint.preemptiveShutdown, which defaults to true but
>> when set to false seems to help this issue.  But what is the impact or
>> side-effects of setting it to false?  Will the shutdown just take longer
>> in
>> this case?  Or is there something else to be aware of?
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 9:30 PM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré &lt;
>
>> jb@
>
>> &gt;
>> wrote:
>>
>>> We have a Jira about that, it's related to Felix framework and bundle
>>> cache corruption. Just delete the cache fixes the issue but I'm looking
>>> for
>>> a more reliable workaround (in Karaf).
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> JB

>> <bundleId>
>> ' for these
>> <bundleId>
>>   directory and restart karaf?  thx for any help.

>>> --
>>> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
>>>

>> jbonofre@
>
>>> http://blog.nanthrax.net
>>> Talend - http://www.talend.com

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: bundle corruption with felix and karaf 3.0.2

Posted by asookazian2 <as...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kevin Schmidt <kt...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
We have a Jira about that, it's related to Felix framework and bundle
cache corruption. Just delete the cache fixes the issue but I'm looking
for a more reliable workaround (in Karaf).

Regards
JB

On 01/08/2015 01:12 AM, asookazian2 wrote:
> Karaf 3.0.2
>
> we are seeing intermittent hanging on halt (shutdown) of karaf.  we then use
> 'kill -9' on karaf java process.  then, sometimes after a restart, we are
> seeing some bundles (typically the last n bundles) in 'installed' state.  I
> believe I saw on this forum JB commented the root cause of this is a felix
> bug.  Any details on this JIRA, etc. and when it may be fixed?  Has anybody
> else seen this behavior?
>
> In the log we are seeing:
>
> 20150107 15:38:22.613 [WARN ] ActiveMQ Task-3 |
> 147:org.apache.activemq.activemq-osgi |
> org.apache.activemq.transport.failover.FailoverTransport | Failed to connect
> to [tcp://localhost:61616] after: 10 attempt(s) continuing to retry.
>
> Also, i noticed today that I could not 'uninstall <bundleId>' for these
> corrupted bundles.  Should we just delete them manually from
> kara/data/cache/<bundleId> directory and restart karaf?  thx for any help.
>
> btw, we tried switching to equinox but we had other issues with that so back
> with felix for now.

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net