Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mi...@mortgage.wellsFargo.COM on 2001/06/29 06:10:54 UTC

JSP / JavaBean problem

Hi, I'm new to this list, and hope this is the appropriate forum.  Kick me
over to a developer forum if not...

I am developing JSPs with JavaBeans and have run into an issue with "blank"
input fields on the form.  An empty string, "", is NOT passed to the setter
method on my beans.  I have researched the source code in
JspRuntimeLibrary.java and found the introspect (Tomcat 3.1) /
introspectHelper (Tomcat 3.2.1) method intentionally excludes parameters
that have a NULL or "" value - of course NULL could never happen because of
the flow of the code, but never mind that.

I guess my question is this.  Is this correct functionality.  I have read
the JSP 1.1 specification on the topic of the setProperty tag, and it is NOT
specific regarding this matter.  It is a huge problem for me because I have
beans that have a session scope and a particular property of the bean may be
"Fred" but if I blank out the related input field it doesn't overwrite the
value in the bean when I submit the form.  Hope this makes sense.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Michael W. Housman Jr.
Optimal Systems Design, Inc.
Consulting at Wells Fargo Services Company
Phone:  612.341.9784
Cell:   612.386.6785
Office: 763.537.2631

Re: JSP / JavaBean problem

Posted by Dmitri Colebatch <di...@nuix.com.au>.
firstly - right list.  unfortunately I dont have a direct answer for you,
although do see what you're asking.  what might help you though is something
like struts (http://jakarta.apache.org/struts).  it handles the sorts of
issues that are (by the sounds of it) at the base of your problem

cheesr
dim