Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org> on 2019/02/28 19:20:06 UTC

Log4j2?

Hi folks,

I'm totally aware that this is a delicate matter and friendships have
been destroyed over this question. But anyway: Shall we switch to Log4j2
as our primary log library?

GD&R
Bye, Thomas

Re: Log4j2?

Posted by Jeffery Painter <je...@jivecast.com>.
Thomas, I am supportive of whatever you and Georg decide is best. I have
no particular preference as long as it is easy to use. :-)

-
Jeffery

Re: Log4j2?

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>.
Hi folks,

On 01.03.19 08:50, Georg Kallidis wrote:
> Thanks, Thomas, I agree.
>
> The last battlefield would be commons, avalon almost done (both in Turbine
> and Fulcrum) and slf4j already removed (for the latter log4j2 provides all
> integrations: l->s, s->l).

Ok, I went through the code and removed all references to
commons-logging. Also tried to use the log4j2 features where possible.

I'm a bit opinionated with the Fulcrum components. These are Avalon
components and Avalon provides its own log system. To be consistent, I'd
prefer to keep it that way. Years ago, I spent quite some time to pull
this straight in the first place (fulcrum-intake and fulcrum-security,
maybe some more). I would not expect to find log entries from Avalon
services outside the "avalon" tree.

> But should we change all implementations (removing commons.logging) or use
> the Commons Logging Bridge or both? ;-)

Please review what I committed.

Bye, Thomas

Re: Log4j2?