Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Andrew Wetmore <co...@gmail.com> on 2022/05/04 18:05:25 UTC

A way to keep the name

Hi, all.

We have a very long thread on the possibility of changing the name of our
foundation, and the complex work involved. I may have missed it in the
back-and-forth, but is there not another way forward?

What if we established an offering of value to members of the Apache Nation
(defined by the eight tribes) that attaches a benefit to the existing
perceived connection between our use of the word "Apache" and theirs? Such
a package could start small, but grow toward something that is much more
useful than the "one peppercorn per annum" which is the legal term in
England to describe  a nominal rent.

The package could begin with elements that we already have in our hands
made available to members of the Apache Nation:

  - travel assistance to attend ApacheCon
  - advanced access to the Google Summer of Code
  - assistance within our realms of expertise with technical infrastructure
or code-development issues the Apache Nation faces

On such a basis we could solicit additional "goods" to grow the package:

  - a scholarship fund to enable study in software development
  - internships with corporations that are ASF sponsors

Others among you will have much better ideas than those I have just tossed
into the ring. Please suggest them.

This approach makes a positive out of what some perceive as a negative, as
we grow a coincidental relationship into one of real value to the people of
the Apache Nation.

Andrew Wetmore

Editor, Moose House Publications <https://moosehousepress.com/>
Editor-Writer, The Apache Software Foundation <https://apache.org/>

Re: Naming/Branding: First Steps

Posted by me <me...@emangini.com>.

Re: Naming/Branding: First Steps

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@comcast.net>.
That was someone’s opinion on a list. That is not official.

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Walter Cameron <wa...@waltercameron.com>.
> It might be worth doing some internal
> research on Apache culture (nothing
> exhaustive, but enough for us to understand
> tribal values) before performing outreach (or
> in the extreme, from performing it
> altogether). At the very least this can help us
> navigate away from areas that may induce
> conflict, as well as to consider the wording of
> our inquiry.
>
> Walter, you seem to have a decent hold on
> the social impact. Do you have a resource
> you can reach out to? (Or is it something
> you’re willing to research to compile some
> facts?)

I am by no means an expert in “Apache culture”, but I think Wikipedia
describes it well when it says: “The Apache Nations are politically
autonomous, speak several different languages, and have distinct cultures.”
To refer to them all as a singular culture is a misnomer and neglects the
complexity of the problem being presented.

What is being appropriated here is a broad group of people. On social media
you can find examples of people who identify as Apache both deriding and
celebrating uses of the term by us and other organizations who appropriate
it. A lot of what you find depends on where you look. Like any group of
people you’re going to find a range of opinions. No people are a monolith.
That’s one of the problems with appropriation and stereotyping like this is
that it reduces so many complexities into a single label that we are wildly
misusing.

I’d like to make it clear that I’m not Apache, nor do I know anyone who
identifies as Apache. I am from a pretty different part of the country. Our
language, Lingít, is in the Na-Dene language family along with the interior
Athabaskan languages like the Apache languages.

Lingít has been labeled “critically endangered” by some, but there are
serious efforts being placed into restoring its use after it was forcefully
suppressed by previous generations. Some of the few stories I know of my
grandmother are about her experiences passed down of her punishments for
speaking her language at school. She didn’t pass down her language.

I think if you all tried to make a Tlingit Software Foundation, amongst
other numerous offenses having an “English Only” policy such as this list
has would definitely sting.

A lot of traditional Tlingit law involves intellectual property, as does US
law. New institutions and laws have enabled efforts to end appropriations
and cultural thefts. After one of our corporations won a settlement with
Neiman Marcus they burned an example of the offending intellectual property
in a ceremony downtown:
https://www.juneauempire.com/news/saga-over-garment-design-copyright-infringement-ends-in-ceremonial-fire/

As much as we might want to describe the relationship between ASF and
Apache peoples as “coincidental” the fact of the matter is that it’s not a
relationship of coincidence rather it is of exploitation.

It’s not just me saying this, check out our cameo in this Washington Post
opinion article from a year ago about the Jeep controversy Ed’s been
mentioning:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/03/07/jeep-cherokee-name-change-native-americans/

I’d like to quote its closing here for emphasis:

> Remedying the harms of the past will require
> more than simply changing a name or a
> logo, but it is a first step toward ensuring
> that racial stereotypes are retired to the
> annals of history.

The opinion also covers a point that a protester of the Cleveland team
made: “I am not a mascot.” I don’t see Apache people as mascots either and
I have no interest in exploiting their identity to develop software. Again,
people have been saying this for years
https://github.com/Quick/Quick/issues/660, our appropriation is pretty much
a textbook example:
https://qz.com/805704/columbus-day-cultural-appropriation-white-americans-need-to-stop-assuming-native-american-culture-belongs-to-them-too/
if it hasn’t been written about yet in an actual textbook I’m sure it will
be.

When it comes to Indigenous sovereignty, settler-colonial organizations are
famous for only doing the right thing when absolutely forced to do so, and
maybe that will be true of us here at ASF, but if so it will be a shame.

Until then we’re probably going to keep pissing people off and getting made
fun of, and rightfully so.

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com>.

From: Owen Rubel <or...@gmail.com>
Reply: dev@community.apache.org <de...@community.apache.org>
Date: May 6, 2022 at 12:24:54
To: dev@community.apache.org <de...@community.apache.org>
Subject:  Re: Naming/Branding: First Steps

Posted by Owen Rubel <or...@gmail.com>.
Bravo. Brilliant.

From: me <me...@emangini.com>
Reply: me <me...@emangini.com>
Date: May 5, 2022 at 12:57:25
To: dev@community.apache.org <de...@community.apache.org>, Owen Rubel <or...@gmail.com>
Subject:  Re: A way to keep the name

[...]

Again. Profit and intent are irrelevant. There is no barrier (legally, socially or in business) that makes these concepts a means for separation or dismissal of complaints should they arise.

—

From: Owen Rubel <or...@gmail.com>
Reply: dev@community.apache.org <de...@community.apache.org>
Date: May 5, 2022 at 12:11:21
To: dev@community.apache.org <de...@community.apache.org>

Re: A way to keep the name

From: Owen Rubel <or...@gmail.com>
Reply: dev@community.apache.org <de...@community.apache.org>
Date: May 5, 2022 at 12:11:21
To: dev@community.apache.org <de...@community.apache.org>

Re: A way to keep the name

Posted by Owen Rubel <or...@gmail.com>.

Re: A way to keep the name

Posted by me <me...@emangini.com>.
To your point, it hasn’t gone over well. It doesn’t seem to have impacted sales (at least as far as I can tell), but they did create a brand spankin’ new Jeep Grand Cherokee for 2022.

While I’m drawing a parallel based on the semantics of name usage (i.e. Apache is a nation name, Cherokee is a nation name), their circumstance has a much easier solution. Discontinuing an automobile “name” is a lot easier than rebranding an entire organization.

They can still be Jeep.

From: Bill Cole <bi...@apache.org>
Reply: dev@community.apache.org <de...@community.apache.org>
Date: May 11, 2022 at 15:31:49
To: ComDev <de...@community.apache.org>

On 2022-05-11 at 14:56:13 UTC-0400 (Wed, 11 May 2022 14:56:13 -0400)
me <de...@community.apache.org>
is rumored to have said:

> The scenario w/ Jeep is the most synonymous to Apache. (We are named
> for a tribe, rather than a synonymous term or epithet). I’m side
> stepping the logo for the moment.
>
> The last words I could find on the subject (w/ a brief scan) were
> March of 2021
>
> - Chief Hoskins of the Cherokee Nation did request a name change from
> Jeep.
> - Jeep opened up talks, but they didn’t comply.

Back in the mists of time I worked for Chrysler (then parent of Jeep)
and there was briefly a kerfuffle over Jeep's "Cherokee" appropriation,
as it is an issue that comes up episodically and never is resolved. I
did not follow the public statements at the time, but the phrase that
stuck with me from internal communications was "pound sand." I'm a bit
surprised that they engaged further more recently, but times do change.

I absolutely do not think ASF should replicate that stance.

--
Bill Cole

Re: A way to keep the name

Posted by Bill Cole <bi...@apache.org>.
On 2022-05-11 at 14:56:13 UTC-0400 (Wed, 11 May 2022 14:56:13 -0400)
me <de...@community.apache.org>

Re: A way to keep the name

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Fri, May 13, 2022 at 9:49 PM Walter Cameron
<wa...@waltercameron.com> wrote:

> > YOU MUST NOT reach out to ANYONE on behalf of the Apache Software
> > Foundation without coordinating with M&P. Without their approval, you
> > are NOT authorized to speak on behalf of the ASF, or put yourself in a
> > position where it appears that you are doing so.
>
> For those of us who don’t have access to the internal deliberations on this
> topic can you offer any update? Is outreach something membership or M&P is
> still interested in pursuing with regards to understanding the impact of
> their brand? If so, what kind of outreach are they envisioning?

Permit me to rephrase Rich's request.

Build a plan.  Bring it before M&P (specifically Joe Brockmeier) prior
to execution.

> Gunalchéesh,
> Walter

- Sam Ruby

Re: A way to keep the name

Posted by Walter Cameron <wa...@waltercameron.com>.

Re: A way to keep the name

Posted by me <me...@emangini.com>.

Re: A way to keep the name

Posted by rb...@rcbowen.com.

Re: A way to keep the name

From: Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Reply: Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Date: May 9, 2022 at 09:52:47
To: me <me...@emangini.com>
Cc: ComDev <de...@community.apache.org>

Re: A way to keep the name

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Re: A way to keep the name

Posted by me <me...@emangini.com>.
Roman, welcome to the party!

From: Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Reply: dev@community.apache.org <de...@community.apache.org>
Date: May 9, 2022 at 05:46:43
To: ComDev <de...@community.apache.org>

On Thu, May 5, 2022 at 6:54 PM me <me...@emangini.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> I want to be very open that I don’t necessarily agree with the “change the name at all costs approach”. Maybe I’m naive, but I find a romantic element to having organizations that can share a name with a group of people that represents the characteristics of those people, while maintaining a consistent responsibility to represent them cooperatively.
>
> That said, I also recognize we live in a polarizing social climate, so I feel it is a responsible direction to hear the tribe and hear what they have to say to determine if a problem exists. My only caution with the approach is that it is temporary. We could find out it doesn’t bother anyone today, only to have it revisited in X amount of time to find that it is no longer acceptable. I don’t personally understand the problem well enough to know what the degree or stability of those relationships and perceptions are.
>
> I understand the apprehension to the word “permission’. If I can put this in radical terms, how would you feel if I started a software foundation called the Jarek Potiuk foundation?
> Then I would create a name page similar to https://www.apache.org/apache-name/ Most of the verbiage would be respectful, and would pay homage to an inspiring colleague “Jarek Potiuk"
>
> Then in some fashion like this -> As the Apache HTTP Server grew from patches applied to the NCSA Server, a pun on the name quickly spread amongst members of the community, with the rumor being that “Apache” actually stood for “a ‘patchy’ server”. As time passed, the popularity of the “A Patchy Server” story grew: rumor became lore, and lore became legend.
>
> I would write… "as an open source project, each of us brought our own spice to the software, very much like a ‘potluck’ dish. Given the similarities in the name we called it internally a “Potluck Foundation”…etc.
>
> Maybe you are ok with it. Maybe not. Maybe your family and descendants aren’t ok with it later. Either way, that is your name, and you have every right in this country (US) to tell us not to use it. If we don’t comply, and you sue us, we can lose the right to use the name as well as be penalized financially. (Apologies if this offends. I’m trying to demonstrate a parallel.)
>
> There is a causal relationship between the foundation’s name and the Apache people based on the link provided above.
>
> What I’m going to suggest as the following is an extreme case. However, it can’t be ignored. There is legal precedent for companies being sued in the United States over the use of tribal names. (One that immediately comes to mind is the Allergan case. They paid an annual $15 million dollar royalty to a Mohawk nation while the patents remained valid, as well as handed over those patents to the tribe. I believe Apple and Google have also both been sued in similar cases.)
>
> As an open source body with no revenue, the common alternative is a cease and desist suit.

The risk level of this was assessed in the past. With my VP Legal hat
on we can do a reassessment now to understand what it is.

This is NOT to distract from the argument that is going on on this
list right now.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: A way to keep the name